The Housing Service Center (HSC) bachelor housing staff is ready to aid unaccompanied personnel reporting to Naval Support Activity Norfolk and will assist in determining eligibility, options and in locating acceptable housing. The HSC has a number of excellent housing choices and services.
Depending on your assignment status (shore duty, sea duty, student, etc.) and pay grade, your options may include Navy unaccompanied housing (UH), housing in the local community or unaccompanied Public-Private Venture (PPV) housing.
- Sea and shore duty personnel within pay grades E1-E3 and E4 (with less than 4 years’ service) can expect to reside in permanent party UH or UH PPV.
- Based on local conditions 50 to 75 percent of E4 with more than 4 years of service may be housed in UH.
- Students will reside in one of our student housing facilities.
- More senior personnel are expected to reside in the local community.
UH are government-owned and managed housing. Eligibility is based on your pay grade and basic allowance for housing (BAH) entitlement.
UH units qualities:
- Comfortable, fully-furnished.
- Clean, safe and secure housing.
- Location, location, location:
- Close to work (no traffic).
- Base recreation.
- Additional installation support services.
- No - Rent fees.
- Fees - Utilities, cable, internet and Land line (if needed). Note: BAH will stop.
- UH moving information.
- Housing resources.
- Full range of housing options if interested in renting or purchasing. Be sure to check in with us at the HSC for all of the latest information, listings and assistance.
- Assist you in locating appropriate rental housing to meets your needs.
- Protection from leases and avoiding discrimination with your housing agreement.
The HSC works closely with landlords and property managers in the community which led to the Rental Partnership Program (RPP). There are many advantages renting within the RPP including: properties inspected by the HSC, reduced or no security deposits, payment by allotment and discounts on rent. When you are authorized to live in the local community, you will draw BAH.
UH PPV is a partnership between the government and a private management company. The private partner manages and operates the facilities with government oversight. Our facilities are comparable to some of the best available in the local community. When you live in UH PPV, a signed lease is needed; draw BAH and pay rent by allotment. Moving Information into and living in UH PPV.