Naval Support Facility Indian Head was founded in 1890 as the Navy’s first established presence in southern Maryland. What began many years ago as a gun test facility on the Potomac River has evolved and expanded to include numerous scientific and response-force missions serving all branches of the military – Navy, Air Force, Army and Marines.
Surrounded by the Potomac River and Mattawoman Creek, Naval Support Facility Indian Head is strategically situated less than 30 miles south of the nation’s capital. In addition to its military value, the Indian Head Navy installation makes a significant economic contribution to the local community by serving as one of Charles County, Maryland’s largest employers.
Today’s military community on board Naval Support Facility Indian Head represents a diverse and strategically important mix of research and development activities, alongside operational support programs that are protecting the U.S. homeland from terrorist threats, as well as serving U.S. Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Army forces deployed worldwide on a daily basis.