Find Your Region or Installation

DoN Civil Air Landing Permits Website

Individuals and corporations seeking permission to land a civilian aircraft (including unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) that weigh more than 55 pounds) at Navy air stations or facilities must obtain a Civil Aircraft Landing Permit (CALP) prior to any landing.


Official Government Regulation: 32 CFR 766 "Use of Department of the Navy aviation facilities by other than United States Department of Defense Aircraft" This regulation applies to civil aircraft use of Department of the Navy (DoN) land based air facilities. Civil aircraft include domestic or foreign aircraft operated by individuals or corporations, foreign government owned aircraft operated for commercial purposes, aircraft operated under contract to a government agency, aircraft that are leased from the United States Government but able to be used for non-government purposes, all commercial aviation and all general aviation.


A CALP is a permit to use specified DoN air stations and facilities for a specified, authorized purpose. To use these facilities, the applicant must have a permit based on a bona fide, approved purpose, adequate insurance and an executed Hold Harmless agreement.


Generally, users that may be approved include: a contractor fulfilling terms of a U. S. government a contract, a contractor demonstrating aircraft pursuant to a U. S. government contract, personnel on official orders (active duty U.S. military, reserve U.S. military and U. S. government civilians), air show participants at the invitation of the installation, Civil Air Patrol members on official business, Military Flying Club (U.S. Navy, Marine Corps Army, or Air Force) members, and scheduled air carriers needing a weather alternate in flight.


For UAS that weigh less than 55 pounds, the operator must obtain approval to land directly from the installation commanding officer and must provide the installation with indemnification and hold harmless agreement prior to operations when the government is not assuming liability associated with the UAS operations. A CALP can be obtained from an installation, a Navy region or from Commander, Navy Installations Command (CNIC).


Additional information can be found by selecting the Getting Started, Frequently Asked Questions, and Contact Information tabs. Templates can be downloaded from the Getting Started tab. To download a form, right-click the link and select "Save Target As" from the popup menu.


Individual installation commanding officers may approve permits for the above uses on their own installations. However, users requiring access to more than one installation must apply to the appropriate Navy region or CNIC; which acts on behalf of the Chief of Naval Operations.


*PLEASE NOTE: All CALPS are processed during the workweek. Applications received after 1400 on Friday will not be reviewed until the following Monday.


The DD 2400/2401 and 2402, dated May 2021 are the current forms to use.  You may download them from the official DOD site:


This section describes the process of obtaining a CALP. There are some differences in policy among the Departments of the Army, Air Force and Navy, so a requested permit might not be approvable for Navy air installations even though approvable by another service for their bases.   Only forms completed specific to Navy aviation facilities will be accepted.


Applicants, please see the section below on how to successfully complete the forms and links to samples. Then print, sign, and date the originals in blue ink and email a color PDF to Please DO NOT mail or send faxes of the originals.


Special notes on completing the forms


Blue ink PDFs are now the accepted method of receiving CALP applications.  Scans MUST be in color in order to discern the blue ink signature and all documents MUST BE DATED.  Please email the scanned or PDF version of the following:


1. A letter stating: 

  • The applicant's legal name (individual or corporate entity)
  • The necessity for landing
  • Current contact information, and 
  • The current or most recent CALP number (previous permit holders only)


2. Include 3 forms: DD Forms 2400, 2401, 2402 and, if applicable, a letter from the Contracting Officer's Representative (COR) that affirms the requirement to land. You may be asked for additional documentation depending on your exact information.


DD Form 2400:   This is the Certificate of Insurance.  If using Box 5 to state the limits of the insurance coverage, ensure ALL small boxes within Box 5 are completed.   If using Box 6 instead of Box 5, please cite the full combined single limit insurance coverage for Bodily Injury, Property Damage, and Passenger Liability before sublimiting passenger liability. 


Please note: Certification boxes (9a,b,c,d) are to be completed by the authorized insurance official.  **Advisory on Insurance Requirements for Civil Aircraft Landing Permits


DD Form 2401: This is the Civil Aircraft Landing Permit.   Please state your purpose of use to land at Navy air stations and list the aircraft to be covered under this request (fill out an “Additional Aircraft Data form” if there are more than four (4) aircraft to be listed).


Information about the COR Letter
This letter must be on letterhead, or official numbered memo and provides information about the contract from the Contracting Officer's Representative Letter (COR): The contract number, approved location(s) of use, government point of contact information  and effective/expiration dates will be in this letter. Generally, this letter will need to be renewed annually. 


DD Form 2402: This is the Hold Harmless Agreement.  When submitted by:


1. An Individual:  It must be dated, signed in blue ink, and the name must match DD Form 2401 - 1.a "User," as well as  DD Form 2400 - 3.a "Insured" and any other documents presented.

2. A Corporation:  The name of the corporate entity must match DD Form 2401 1.a - "User" and DD Form 2400 - 3.a “Insured.”  It must have two (2) signatures and must be signed in blue ink. The signatories must be Corporate Officers or additional documentation will be required. 


*PLEASE NOTE:  It is imperative this form be signed by the correct individuals.  The agreement must be executed by individuals who are corporate officers with the authority to bind the corporation to unlimited liability for an indefinite period of time, because (1) this agreement creates unlimited liability for the corporation for an indefinite period of time, and (2) the Navy wishes to ensure that it is binding.  Per Counsel, corporate officers who are recognized to have “apparent” authority, that is, without further documentation, are the corporation’s Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operatoins Officer, President, Vice President, Corporate Secretary, and Treasurer/Chief Financial Officer.  If the individual’s title is NOT one of these titles, supplemental documentation must be supplied with the application, such as a letter on corporate letterhead, signed by the Corporate Secretary with a corporate seal affixed that indicates that a particular individual or title has the legal authority to bind the corporation in the previously mentioned manner.


There are two signature boxes.  The first corporate officer is executing the agreement and the second corporate officer is countersigning and verifying that the first was authorized to commit the corporation. We frequently receive forms executed by persons with titles such as Senior Managers, Department Heads, Chief Pilot, Director of Aviation, and others that are not one of the above listed positions.  In these cases, we will contact the applicant to have the DD Form 2402 resigned by the appropriate corporate officer.  


A CALP will NOT be issued without the appropriate signatures.


If you wish to demonstrate that someone other than one of the five corporate officers listed above is empowered to execute or countersign this specific agreement, you may do so in one of the following ways:


1.      Have an authorized individual sign in the first box and the Corporate Secretary sign the second box and affix the corporate seal.

2.      Provide an attested copy of an action by the Board of Directors that authorizes execution of the agreement and actually names who may sign it and have that individual sign the first box.

3.      Limited Liability Company, General Partnership, Limited Partnership: Must be signed in blue ink, and name must match all other documents and additional documentation will be asked for, for instance the operating agreement and an affidavit or other document that shows who is legally entitled to bind the company..


You may access a presentation of how to fill out the DD forms here

***** CALP Instructions ***** 

Blank forms, Sample forms and other information:


Additional Aircraft Template

Sample COR Letter

DD2400 (Corporate)

DD2401 (Corporate)

DD2402 (Corporate)

DD2400 (Sole Owner)

DD2401 (Sole Owner)

DD2402 (Sole Owner)


1. How do I submit a completed application?


Please email PDFs of all required forms to PDF applications are now the accepted method of submittal to streamline the reviewing process. Mailing hard copy originals is no longer required (or desired). Applications still require blue ink signatures, therefore, PDFs must be in color. Due to the large number of applications received, please allow 30 days for review and process. A correctly filled out application will take much less time to process.


*PLEASE NOTE: If you will be submitting multiple local applications for airshows, please notify the CALP Manager at:


2. How do I add aircraft to my existing landing permit?


Complete the “Additional Aircraft Data Form” template located under the “Getting Started” tab, provide a new, blue ink signature DD Form 2400 proving the additional aircraft are insured and provide a new DD2401 with the aircraft you are adding. Email this documentation to and a new or revised permit that includes the additional aircraft will be emailed back to you.


3. How do I add an air station to my existing landing permit?


If you are a contractor, you must provide verification that the new air station is supported by the contract. The user may have the government contracting officer send a COR letter stating that the new air station is needed to support the contract.  If you are a reserve member or active duty military, you may simply email with your official written orders and state the purpose of use. If you are a private individual you will need to provide the proof of whatever is bringing you on official business, for instance, an invitation to participate in an air show.


4. How do I change my company name on the permit?


You must submit all new forms with the new name. It is imperative that the “User” on the DD Form 2401 and 2402 match the “Insured” on the DD Form 2400 as well as any other documentation. You should also include whatever legal name change documents you may have.


5. How long does it take to receive my landing permit after application submittal?


Due to the large volume of applications received, you should allow 30 days for processing, verification, and approval before the proposed landing date. If an application is completed correctly, it can be reviewed and processed much more quickly. While it is understood that urgent situations do arise, it is best practice to email the completed application to as soon as possible to ensure a CALP is processed prior to an aircraft’s first intended landing.


*PLEASE NOTE: application packages are reviewed during the workweek. Applications received after 1400 on Fridays will not be reviewed and processed until the following Monday.


6. How long will my permit remain active?


The CALP will expire when the insurance policy expires, when the contract under which the CALP was approved expires or when the COR letter indicates expiration of the option period. The first document to expire will be the controlling document for the expiration date.  


7. My landing permit is expiring. How do I renew it, and how many copies should I send?


You must re-apply. See the Getting Started section for individual or corporation applications. Please email only one (1) copy of the completed application package. Do not send any copies by mail.


8. Are members of a Navy Flying Club able to obtain landing permits?


Yes, if there is an acceptable reason for needing to land. Flying club members are only allowed to land at air stations where they are a member. The Flying Club Manager must endorse the permit.


9. Are Government employees able to obtain a landing permit?


Yes, but your reason to land must be for official government business. Per 32 C.F.R. Part 766, 766.2(g), “official business” is defined as: “Business, in the interest of the U.S. Government, which personnel aboard an aircraft must transact with U.S. Government organizations or personnel at or near the naval aviation facility concerned. Use of a facility to solicit U.S. Government business is not “official business.” Your supervisor must endorse the DD Form 2401 confirming your need to land at Naval and Marine Corps air station.


10. What happens in the event of an inflight emergency?


Per 32 C.F.R. Part 766, 766.5 (i) regarding emergency landings: “Any aircraft may land at a Navy/Marine Corps aviation facility when necessary as a result of a bona fide emergency. However, whenever the nature of the emergency permits the pilot to select the time and place of landing, it is preferred that the pilot land his aircraft at a civil field.” Once you’ve landed, you will need to provide a statement, your personal contact details, your proof of insurance and sign a hold harmless agreement for the Airfield Manager before you leave the base (along with anything else that is required by other parties).


11. My company is a Limited Liability Company, General Partnership, or Limited Partnership.  What documentation is required?


The additional documents needed vary and will be discussed during the application process, however you can generally expect to produce documents from this list: partnership agreements, LLC documents including management structure and documents related to legal signatory authority, sole member affidavits, ect…

The following documents are located on the portal, please click this link to access the portal (CAC required).



32 CFR 766

CNIC CALP Approval Delegation Letter_8_12_2016_8_24_41

DASN (EI&E) CALP Approval Policy Memo_01Jul16


OPNAV N46 delegation letter Ser 19U133239 - Delegation of Authority for Executing Civil Aircraft Landing Permits on Navy Installations

OPNAVINST 3700.19E Foreign Military and State Aircraft

SECNAV UAS CALP Policy Memo 051117 (2)

SECNV CALP Execution Authorities Policy Memo 05222018


Each branch issues its own Civil Aircraft Landing Permits. For your convenience the point of contact information for the different branches is listed below. Additional information may be found on the bottoms of the 2400 series documents.




CALP Manager Contact Information:
Phone: (202) 433-0120




Phone: (703) 695-0105




Phone: (202) 404-7886




Phone: (703) 806-0687


*PLEASE NOTE: due to the large volume of applications and questions, emailed correspondence is the preferred method of communication.  Emails and calls will be returned in the order they are received. Additionally, if you get voicemail, please leave your name, and contact information in addition to a short message. Sometimes the calls are being forwarded and there is no way to return the call if there is no return call phone number.

Share This Page