Naval Support Activity Naples Logo Commander, Navy Region Europe, Africa, Central  |  Naval Support Activity Naples
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation


This page provides an overview on the allowances that you can expect while stationed in Naples. For more information, please refer to the Housing Library.  Contact your TLA Command Coordinator, or visit the link on the Moving & Travel link listing.

Temporary Lodging Allowance

TLA is an allowance issued to offset the cost of living in temporary lodging (Navy Lodge, hotels, etc.) while looking for a permanent residence.  TLA is intended to cover only your basic lodging, meals, and incidentals, and is based on Naples’ per diem rates.

TLA is broken into two parts - lodging costs and meals and incidental expenses (M&IE).  Lodging has a maximum reimbursable limit.  If your lodging costs are less than the limit, you will be reimbursed only for your actual lodging costs.  If your lodging costs are greater than the limit, you will be paid only the maximum rate.  Any costs beyond the limit are your responsibility.

M&IE is a set rate based on the availability of cooking facilities.  If you stay in lodging with no cooking facilities, you will be paid the full rate.  If you stay in lodging with cooking facilities, your M&IE is reduced by 50 percent.  The Navy Lodge has kitchenettes in every room, so the M&IE is reduced by 50 percent.  Regardless of whether your expenses are above or below your determined M&IE rate, you will receive the full amount.

TLA is paid in 10-day increments.  Military personnel must present lodging receipts and obtain Housing’s recommendation for TLA approval at the Housing Service Center every 10 days.  These claims must then be taken to your command TLA representative for approval.  Finally, the Personnel Support Detachment (PSD) uses your TLA claim to compute your reimbursement for lodging and M&IE.  PSD will then subtract 10 days worth of your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS), which you continue to draw while on TLA.

Military personnel are authorized up to 60 days TLA when arriving to Naples.

TLA Termination

TLA terminates on the move-in date to quarters. It will also be terminated:

* If you do not complete a minimum of 2 showing tours within each 10 day period with the Housing Showing Service or Landlord Representatives.

* If you delay, for personal convenience, signing a lease, moving into quarters, and/or delivery of loaner furniture or household goods.

*  If you go on TAD/TDY or Leave out of the vicinity of your duty station.
* If you refuse an offer of government quarters.

TLA extensions for personnel desiring units which are still undergoing construction, needing major repair, or awaiting current residents to move out will not be approved.  Extensions beyond 60 days are not  automatic.  Regardless of the branch of service, all TLA extensions for Naples personnel must be approved by the local TLA authority, Commanding Officer, Naval Support Activity, Naples.  Requests for TLA extensions are filed in advance via the Housing Office and your command, and they are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Housing will also go over TLA requirements upon your arrival.  For further information concerning these programs and their associated dollars you may want to visit the per diem Web-Site.

Other Allowances for Military Members

Visit the per diem Web site.

The following allowances are in place to reduce your out-of-pocket expenses during your tour in Italy.  They aregood deals, but you need to know what they are and how they work.  If you are a Department of Navy member, PSD will inform you of your individual allowances and explain them during Area Orientation.  You will need to apply for these, and PSD will instruct you on the proper procedure.

Important Note:  Because many of these allowances fluctuate as the dollar-EURO exchange rate fluctuates, your paychecks will vary quite often.  You should carefully check your leave and earnings statements to make certainan error hasn't occurred.  Also, when planning your budget, do not count on a fixed dollar amount each paycheck.  It is more prudent to plan on needing a certain amount of EURO each month and buying that amount.

Overseas Housing Allowance

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) is paid in place of BAH for overseas assignments and is paid to military members who live in privately leased housing at their overseas duty station.  Residents of government-leased housing do not draw OHA.  OHA helps pay for your housing costs, including rent, utilities, and recurring maintenance expenses.  OHA consists of two parts, the rent portion and the Utility and Recurring Maintenance (URM) portion.

The rent portion of OHA is computed on your actual rent up to a maximum, based on your rank and whether you are accompanied or unaccompanied.  The rental ceilings do not limit you.  If your rent is above the ceiling, you pay the difference out of your base pay.  If your rent is less than the ceiling, your allowance will include only the amount you actually pay.  The URM portion of OHA is added to the rent portion to help defer the utilities and recurring maintenance costs. You receive the entire amount of URM no matter what your actual utility costs are.

The amount of OHA you receive fluctuates with the dollar/EURO exchange rate.  The URM of your OHA is also adjusted as a result of an annual OHA Utility Survey.   It’s important to maintain complete records of your rent and utility payments. Keep a file with all of your receipts and a notebook to record all your expenses for repairing and maintaining your house or apartment.  If you do, you will have accurate figures to report when it is time for the annual OHA URM Survey.  The Housing Office can give you the details about applying for OHA, and the following website has a listing of the current OHA rates and rent ceiling:


Advance OHA

This entitlement is to pay your first month's rent and deposit.  To apply for this, you need to get the appropriate forms from housing and obtain endorsement from your Commanding Officer/Officer in Charge.  

Move in Housing Allowance


Move in Housing Allowance (MIHA) is a one-time payment to help you pay for items such as extra cabinets, wardrobes, rugs, utility deposits, electrical transformers and adapters, screens, and security systems - things you need to make your privately-leased house safe and comfortable.  It is NOT paid to members who occupy government-leased quarters.  MIHA rates fluctuate according to the EURO. 

Cost of Living Allowance

Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) is paid to offset a higher cost of living than in the U.S.  It is paid to all service members - regardless of whether you live in government or private housing and whether you are accompanied or unaccompanied - but the amount of COLA you receive depends on your rank, length of service, and number of family members.  It helps to pay for things you buy on the economy that are more expensive than comparable items in the U.S.

The COLA index is a percentage that represents the difference between the cost of a “market basket” of goods and services in your area versus the US.  For example, a COLA index of 110 means that prices in your area are 10 percent higher than in CONUS.  This does not translate into a 10 percent increase in your pay-check, however, because the COLA is calculated on your average spendable income - total income minus such expenses as housing, utilities, taxes, and savings.

Civilian Allowances

Information on Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance (TQSA) and Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) is available at the Department of State website.

Civilians are also currently drawing a cost of livingallowance and information on this allowance will be provided by the HRO.




Share This Page