Theme of June's honors ceremony at Pearl Harbor Visitor Center: "Vietnam War 50th Anniversary Commemoration"
PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM - The next Pearl Harbor Colors Ceremony will honor the service and sacrifice of our Vietnam War veterans in recognition of the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of the Vietnam War. The free event is open to the public and will be held Thursday, June 18 at 7:30 am at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center.
Sponsored by Navy Region Hawaii in coordination with the National Park Service, the ceremony will feature the U.S. Pacific Fleet Band, the Joint Base Honors and Ceremonies Guard, an official observance of "morning colors" and remarks from Tim Guard, Chairman of the Board for the USS Missouri Memorial Association. Mr. Guard is a Vietnam War veteran and recipient of the Bronze Star, Navy Commendation and Navy Achievement medals and RVN Legion of Merit.
Vietnam War 50th Anniversary Commemoration Objectives:
- To thank and honor veterans of the Vietnam War, including personnel who were held as prisoners of war (POW), or listed as missing in action (MIA), for their service and sacrifice on behalf of the United States and to thank and honor the families of these veterans.
- To highlight the service of the Armed Forces during the Vietnam War and the contributions of Federal agencies and governmental and non-governmental organizations that served with, or in support of, the Armed Forces.
- To pay tribute to the contributions made on the home front by the people of the United States during the Vietnam War.
- To highlight the advances in technology, science, and medicine related to military research conducted during the Vietnam War.
- To recognize the contributions and sacrifices made by the allies of the United States during the Vietnam War.
Video footage of previous Pearl Harbor Colors events available at: https://www.dvidshub.net/video/391914/pearl-harbor-colors#.VOfQPMJ0yUk
For photos, visit the 'Pearl Harbor Colors' Ceremony webpage at www.cnic.navy.mil/PearlHarborColors
The setting for Pearl Harbor Colors is the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center at the World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument, which is home to Hawaii's most visited historic site - the USS Arizona Memorial - expected to draw 1.5 million visitors in 2015.
Event: Pearl Harbor Colors
Date/Time: Thursday, June 18, 2015; 7:30 A.M.
Location: Pearl Harbor Visitor Center
Performance By: Pacific Fleet Band; Joint Base Honors and Ceremony Guard
Use hashtag #PearlHarborColors to share your thoughts and experiences of the ceremony.