Sexual Assault Prevention and Response
To make a confidential sexual assault report, contact the Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Program. You can contact this program at the following numbers:
· Hotline for Naval Station Great Lakes 847-489-8196
· Civilian Victim Advocate 847-772-5251
· Naval Station Great Lakes, IL Sexual Assault Response Coordinator (SARC) at (847)343-8132.
The SAPR Program is a comprehensive, victim-sensitive program that provides:
· Victim Advocacy
· Awareness & Prevention Education
· Data Collection
SAPR services are available to all active duty service members and their adult family members, regardless of whether the sexual assault took place on or off base.
Reporting Options for Victims of Sexual Assault
1. Unrestricted Reporting:
- A sexual assault may be reported to your chain of command, law enforcement, medical personnel, SAPR victim advocate or the sexual assault response coordinator (SARC).
- An Investigation will take place.
- The victim will be offered medical attention, advocacy and counseling services.
2. Restricted Reporting:
- This reporting option is available only to active duty personnel.
- Disclosures may ONLY be made to one of the following designated personnel: SARC, chaplain, active duty medical personnel, or SAPR victim advocate.
- This report is confidential; the chain of command and law enforcement will not be notified. There will be no investigation.
- Medical attention, advocacy and counseling services will be offered to the victim.
DoD Safe Helpline
The DoD Safe Helpline is also a confidential resource available to provide crisis intervention and support, educational resources, and help lines & chat rooms for victims of sexual assault. The DoD Safe Helpline can be accessed over the phone at 877-995-5247, online at https://www.safehelpline.org/ or via their app available through for both iOS and Android.
SAPR Advocate Training
There is a 40-hour training offered at the Fleet and Family Support Center. The training prepares SAPR Victim Advocates to provide crisis intervention, information on available options, resources, and ongoing non-clinical support to victims of sexual assault. The SAPR victim advocate will help guide the victim through the various medical, legal, and investigative processes. If you would like to become a victim advocate contact a SARC, at (847) 688-3603 extension 100.
SAPR Point of Contact Training
Commands are required by NAVADMIN 179/05 to appoint a SAPR Command Liaison. The SAPR Point of Contact’s role is to serve as the liaison between the victim and the command's executive level. The Point of Contact has direct access to the commanding officer and is responsible for promoting responsive command management of alleged assaults and ensuring victims concerns and needs are communicated to the commanding officer. The FFSC offers an 8 hour training for all personnel assigned to this position. If you would like to enroll in the SAPR Point of Contact training please contact a SARC at (847) 688-3603 extension 100.
SAPR Awareness and Prevention Training
SAPR awareness and prevention training includes information on the prevention of sexual assault, actions that help minimize the risk of becoming a victim, and reporting options for victims of sexual assault. This training is available to all commands. If you are interested in awareness and prevention training or a SAPR GMT at your command, contact a SARC, at (847) 688-3603 extension 100.
When you click “Sexual Assault Prevention and Response”, it opens a new page that is a repeat of the above information, but also includes information on the VLC. It would probably be better if it was just one page and didn’t require an additional click.
Navy Victims’ Legal Counsel (VLC) The Navy Victims’ Legal Counsel Program provides survivors of a sexual offense with a dedicated attorney to help victims understand the investigation and military justice process, guard their legal rights and interests and obtain additional support in accessing resources that may assist in their recovery. This attorney is provided to Navy service members and other eligible victims of sexual offenses at the expense of the Navy. If you would like more information on VLC services, please call (847) 688-5446 extension 3 or visit the following website at http://www.jag.navy.mil/legal_services/vlc.htm .