Chevalier Field was the original airstrip built for land-based aircraft on the station. The field was first used in 1917 for balloons and airships. Later, when the Navy began to use land-based aircraft, runways were added. Chevalier Field was the primary landing field for the station until the construction of Sherman Field in the 1950s. Chevalier Field was used as the testing area for the Naval Aviation Depot, or NADEP, which repaired and overhauled fleet helicopters. Today, Chevalier Field is home to the Naval Air Technical Training Center (NATTC), which relocated here from Millington, TN on December 1, 1996. NATTC’s mission is to train selected Navy and Marine aviation personnel in the aeronautical technical phases of Naval Operations. Over 25,000 students graduate a year from NATTC.