Sherman Field was created due to the arrival of the jet age in the 1940s. The need arose for the airfield to handle the newer airplanes such as the F9F-6 (Cougars) and the TV2 (Seastar), which were high-speed aircraft. The planes required higher airspeeds to remain airborne. Dedicated on November 2, 1951, Sherman Field was built with the required longer runways for takeoffs and landings. It is currently the home of the Blue Angels and Training Air Wing SIX, which include Training Squadrons Four (VT-4), TEN (VT-10), and EIGHT-SIX (VT-86). The training squadrons fly a variety of aircraft and provide instruction to both student Naval Flight Officers, Air Force Student Navigators, and International students.