The 479th OSS was originally designated the 479th School Squadron. The unit was activated aug. 1, 1941, at Kelly Field in San antonio, Texas. The unit was redesignated the 479th School Squadron (Special) on Dec. 29, 1941, and moved to Harlingen, Texas, in January 1942. It became the 479th Flexible Gun- nery Training Squadron on oct. 15, 1942, and disbanded on april 30, 1944. after 57 years of inactivation the 479th Training Support Squad- ron stood up on July 9, 2001, at Moody aFB, Ga., as part of the 479th Flying Training Group. The Squadron was reactivated on oct. 2, 2009, as the 479th operational Support Squadron and serves as a tenet unit to the 479th Fly- ing Training Group in NaS Pensacola, Fla.