Display Ship Barry

Display Ship Barry
The Display Ship Barry at the Washington Navy Yard's Pier 2 served as a training, shipboard familiarization, and ceremonial platform from 1984 to 2014. The USS Barry (DD 933) supported various operations from 1956 to its decommissioning in 1982. (U.S. Navy photo by Patrick Gordon)

Farewell to USS Barry

The Display Ship Barry is one of only three remaining Forrest Sherman class destroyers. Commissioned Sept. 7, 1956, it is the third ship to bear the name of the illustrious Revolutionary War naval hero, Commodore John Barry. The USS Barry (DD 933) supported the 1958 Marine and Army airborne unit landing in Beirut, Lebanon, and was a member of the task force in 1962 that quarantined Cuba in response to evidence that Soviet missiles had been installed on the island. Credited with destroying more than 1,000 enemy structures, Barry earned two battle stars for its service during the Vietnam conflict. In the early 1970s, the ship was homeported in Athens, Greece, as part of the Navy’s forward deployment program. Barry was decommissioned in 1982 and began its new career as a permanent public display ship in 1984. Used for training, shipboard familiarization, and as a ceremonial platform, the DS Barry is one of the most popular visitor destinations on the Washington Navy Yard.

In late 2014 the display ship was designated by the Navy to be removed as a display ship and subsequently scrapped. The departure of the ship from the Washington Navy Yard occurred on May 7, 2016 at approximately 7 a.m.

Click here for a history of the USS Barry: Display Ship Barry to Depart While Her Legacy and Name Sail Forward

For more information, click the links below for news stories about the Display Ship Barry:

Material written by organizations not affiliated with Naval Support Activty Washington do not represent the command's viewpoints nor are they official postings.

 

 

Share This Page

This is an Official US Navy Website
Switch to Full Site
Switch to Mobile Site