Hospital Wall

The 14-foot high brick wall, built around the Naval Hospital in 1835, provided security for the hospital grounds. In addition, people thought the wall’s height prevented mosquitoes from spreading yellow fever. At that time, the belief was that the mosquitoes could not fly above eight feet.

Share This Page

This is an Official US Navy Website
Switch to Full Site
Switch to Mobile Site