An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

DoN Civil Air Landing Permits

Individuals and corporations seeking permission to land a civilian aircraft (including unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) that weigh more than 55 pounds) at Navy air stations or facilities must obtain a Civil Aircraft Landing Permit (CALP) prior to any landing.

Official Government Regulation: 32 CFR 766 "Use of Department of the Navy aviation facilities by other than United States Department of Defense Aircraft" This regulation applies to civil aircraft use of Department of the Navy (DoN) land based air facilities. Civil aircraft include domestic or foreign aircraft operated by individuals or corporations, foreign government owned aircraft operated for commercial purposes, aircraft operated under contract to a government agency, aircraft that are leased from the United States Government but able to be used for non-government purposes, all commercial aviation and all general aviation.

A CALP is a permit to use specified DoN air stations and facilities for a specified, authorized purpose. To use these facilities, the applicant must have a permit based on a bona fide, approved purpose, adequate insurance and an executed Hold Harmless agreement.

Generally, users that may be approved include: a contractor fulfilling terms of a U. S. government a contract, a contractor demonstrating aircraft pursuant to a U. S. government contract, personnel on official orders (active duty U.S. military, reserve U.S. military and U. S. government civilians), air show participants at the invitation of the installation, Civil Air Patrol members on official business, Military Flying Club (U.S. Navy, Marine Corps Army, or Air Force) members, and scheduled air carriers needing a weather alternate in flight.

For UAS that weigh less than 55 pounds, the operator must obtain approval to land directly from the installation commanding officer and must provide the installation with indemnification and hold harmless agreement prior to operations when the government is not assuming liability associated with the UAS operations. A CALP can be obtained from an installation, a Navy region or from Commander, Navy Installations Command (CNIC).

Additional information can be found by selecting the Getting Started, Frequently Asked Questions, and Contact Information tabs. Templates can be downloaded from the Getting Started tab. To download a form, right-click the link and select "Save Target As" from the popup menu.

Individual installation commanding officers may approve permits for the above uses on their own installations. However, users requiring access to more than one installation must apply to the appropriate Navy region or CNIC; which acts on behalf of the Chief of Naval Operations.

*PLEASE NOTE: All CALPS are processed during the workweek. Applications received after 1400 on Friday will not be reviewed until the following Monday.

1. How do I submit a completed application?

Please e-mail color PDFs of completed DD2400, DD2401, DD2402 forms to Color PDF applications are now the accepted method of submittal. Mailing hard copy originals is no longer required (or desired) and may delay processing. Additional information may be required. While it is understood that urgent situations do arise, applications should be received 30 days prior to the first anticipated landing.

 *PLEASE NOTE: If you will be submitting multiple local applications for airshows, please notify the CALP Manager at:

2. Where do I find the official blank DOD forms?

You may find the blank forms on the official DOD site located here:

3. Are there any tips on filling out the CALP forms?

Yes! This power point will help you fill out the 2401 and 2402. The 2400 must be filled out by your insurance company.

Civilian Aircraft Landing Tips PowerPoint

4. How do I add aircraft to my existing landing permit?

Request the “Additional Aircraft Data Form” from fill in the additional aircraft information and provide a new, blue ink signature DD Form 2400 for each additional aircraft. E-mail this documentation to and a new or revised permit that includes the additional aircraft will be emailed back to you. You may also need to include a new 2401. We will ask if it is needed.

 5. How do I add an air station to my existing landing permit?

If you are a contractor, you must provide verification that the new air station is supported by the contract. The user may have the government contracting officer send a COR letter stating that the new air station is needed to support the contract.  If you are a reserve member or active duty military, you may email with your official written orders and state the purpose of use. If you are a private individual you will need to provide the proof of whatever is bringing you on official business, for instance, an invitation to participate in an air show. A new CALP will have to be issued. Additional documentation will be asked for if it is needed.

 6. How do I change my company name on the permit?

You must submit all new forms with the new name. It is imperative that the “User” on the DD Form 2401 and 2402 match the “Insured” on the DD Form 2400 as well as any other documentation. You should also include whatever legal name change documents you may have.

 7. How long does it take to receive my landing permit after application submittal?

Due to the large volume of applications received, you should allow 30 days for processing, verification, and approval before the proposed landing date. If an application is completed correctly, it can be reviewed and processed much more quickly but it still takes time.

 *PLEASE NOTE: application packages are reviewed during the workweek. Applications received after 1400 EST on Fridays will not be reviewed and processed until the following Monday.

 8. How long will my permit remain active?

The CALP will expire when the insurance policy expires, when the contract under which the CALP was approved expires or when the COR letter indicates expiration of the option period. The first document to expire is typically the controlling document for the CALP expiration date.  

 9. My landing permit is expiring. How do I renew it, and how many copies should I send?

You must re-apply. Please e-mail only one (1) copy of the completed application package. Do not send any copies by postal mail.

 10. Are Government employees able to obtain a landing permit?

Yes, but only for official government business. Per 32 C.F.R. Part 766, 766.2(g), “official business” is defined as: “Business, in the interest of the U.S. Government, which personnel aboard an aircraft must transact with U.S. Government organizations or personnel at or near the naval aviation facility concerned. Use of a facility to solicit U.S. Government business is not “official business.” Your supervisor must endorse the DD Form 2401 confirming your need to land at Naval and Marine Corps air station.

 11. What happens in the event of an inflight emergency?

Per 32 C.F.R. Part 766, 766.5 (i) regarding emergency landings: “Any aircraft may land at a Navy/Marine Corps aviation facility when necessary as a result of a bona fide emergency. However, whenever the nature of the emergency permits the pilot to select the time and place of landing, it is preferred that the pilot land his aircraft at a civil field.” Once you’ve landed, you will need to provide a statement, your personal contact details, your proof of insurance and sign a hold harmless agreement for the Airfield Manager before you leave the base (along with anything else that is required by other parties).

12. My company is a Limited Liability Company, General Partnership, or Limited Partnership.  What documentation is required?

The additional documents needed vary and will be discussed during the application process, however you can generally expect to produce documents from this list: partnership agreements, LLC documents including management structure, documents related to legal signatory authority and/or notarized affidavits, etc…

Airfield Managers: please click this link to access the portal (CAC required).

Each branch issues its own Civil Aircraft Landing Permits. For your convenience the point of contact information for the different branches is listed below. Additional information may be found on the bottoms of the 2400 series documents.




CALP Manager Contact Information:
Email: Please cc
Phone: (202) 433-0120




Phone: (703) 695-0105




Phone: (202) 404-7886




Phone: (703) 806-0687


*PLEASE NOTE: due to the large volume of applications and questions, emailed correspondence is the preferred method of communication.  Emails and calls will be returned in the order they are received. Additionally, if you get voicemail, please leave your name, and contact information in addition to a short message. Sometimes the calls are being forwarded and there is no way to return the call if there is no return call phone number.


Google Translation Disclaimer

  • Google Translate, a third party service provided by Google, performs all translations directly and dynamically.
  • Commander, Navy Installations Command, has no control over the features, functions, or performance of the Google Translate service.
  • The automated translations should not be considered exact and should be used only as an approximation of the original English language content.
  • This service is meant solely for the assistance of limited English-speaking users of the website.
  • Commander, Navy Installations Command, does not warrant the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of any information translated.
  • Some items cannot be translated, including but not limited to image buttons, drop down menus, graphics, photos, or portable document formats (pdfs).
  • Commander, Navy Installations Command, does not directly endorse Google Translate or imply that it is the only language translation solution available to users.
  • All site visitors may choose to use similar tools for their translation needs. Any individuals or parties that use Commander, Navy Installations Command, content in translated form, whether by Google Translate or by any other translation services, do so at their own risk.
  • IE users: Please note that Google Translate may not render correctly when using Internet Explorer. Users are advised to use MS Edge, Safari, Chrome, or Firefox browser to take full advantage of the Google Translate feature.
  • The official text of content on this site is the English version found on this website. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in translated text, refer to the English version on this website, it is the official version.

Commander, Navy Installations Command   |   716 Sicard Street SE Suite 100   |   Washington DC, 20374-5140
Official U.S. Navy Website