The Transportation Incentive Program (TIP) is all about commuting and saving you money. TIP covers most types of commuting. Members of the TIP program commute at no cost or greatly reduced fares! You can save up to $1,500 or more in annual commuting costs.
What types of transportation could I use for my commute?
Most forms of mass transportation are eligible for TIP. Vanpool, Coaster, the Bus, Trolley, and the Ferry are little or no cost to you.
What are the eligibility requirements?
All active duty Navy and Marine Corps personnel, DON civilian and Non- Appropriated Fund (NAF) employees are eligible. Members of Reserve Components serving on active duty for more than 30 days are also eligible for the program. Contractors are not eligible for the TIP benefit.
How does TIP cover my commuting expenses?
You will receive a debit card on which you can receive monthly mass transit benefits electronically. Upon registering for TIP benefits, and once all necessary processing stages have been approved, you will receive a TRANService Debit Card for to pay for your mass transit. You debit card will be reloaded electronically as long as you continue to qualify for TIP benefits. This debit card is a Visa-branded electronic fare media card provided by the US Department of Transportation.
How do I sign up?
1. Sign up online at https://tips.navy.mil. Follow these steps:
2. Login and create an account with your CAC card at https://tips.navy.mil
3. Click on the "Navy and Marine Corps Military and Civilians button" to create an application
4. Select your Supervisor, and submit online
5. Your supervisors will receive an email asking them to go to the same website, create an account, and certify their employee’s eligibility for TIP benefits. Your supervisor’s online verification is sent to the Reviewing Official at the Installation.
6. Once the Reviewing Official reviews and approves the application, expect your debit card to be received at the Installation in 6-8 weeks.
7. You will get email notification when cards are available for distribution If you have additional questions or need help, please contact the TIP Program Manager for your Installation as listed below.
What are the responsibilities of the participants?
TIP participants must use mass transit or rideshare at least 11 days each calendar month to earn benefits. TIP participants commit to using mass transit and will be required to prove their ridership; failure to certify for monthly benefits may result in applicants being withdrawn from this benefit program. If a participant has an assigned parking space on base they must release the space upon TIP participation approval. TIP is a benefit, not an entitlement. Any kind of misuse or abuse of Navy TIP may result in criminal prosecution and/or disciplinary action.
Who manages the program?
The Transportation Incentive Program (TIP) is a Department of the Navy Fringe Benefit Program implemented by Department of Defense Instruction 1000.27, and is designed to reduce Federal employees’ contribution to traffic congestion and air pollution, and to expand their commuting alternatives by offering fare media to qualified applicants.
How many people must be in a vanpool for it to qualify for the subsidy program?
The vanpool must have a minimum seating capacity of at least six (6) adults (NOT including the driver). At least 80% of the mileage must be connected with transporting employees to and from work and at least one half of the adult seating capacity not including the driver must be occupied for 80% of the mileage.
How does the vanpool program work?
Applicants submit an application online at https://tips.navy.mil. Those forming their own Vanpools are responsible to have occupancy and to coordinate with one of the Vanpool vendors, and submit Vanpool costs to their Installation Program Manager. Each formed Vanpool must have a Treasurer in place who will manage Vanpool expenses and to ensure expenses are paid to their local vendor as well as coordinate with San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG), for registration and additional subsidy.
Who is ineligible for TIP benefits?
Unless currently employed on-base by the Department of Defense the following are not eligible to participate:
· Government Contractors
· Reservists who are on weekend drilling/training (considered to be inactive duty)
· ROTC students
· Overseas members/employees outside the ONCR (Outside the National Capital Region) coverage areas
· Foreign Exchange Military Personnel
· Otherwise eligible applicants who reside on the same base/installation as their work location
Contact the Transportation Incentive Program Representative for your base:
|Naval Base Coronado:||619-247-6000|
|Naval Base San Diego:||
|Naval Base Point Loma:||
|Naval Medical Center San Diego:||619-532-6414|
|COMNAVREGSW Bldg. One:||619-532-4921|