The Office of the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) established the Mrs. Sybil Stockdale Ombudsman of the Year Award. Mrs. Stockdale set an unflagging example for her support to families of other POWs during the seven year internment of her husband, Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale, in Southeast Asia.
Mrs. Stockdale’s commitment to Navy families exemplifies the foundation of the Ombudsman Program today. She set the example by establishing the National League of Families of American Prisoners in Southeast Asia to provide support for families of other POWs. Over 40 years later there are more than 2,000 dedicated volunteers serving Navy families as Ombudsmen.
Nominated by their commanding officers, these ombudsmen maintain the highest standards of professionalism and create a healthy sense of community by being positive role models for command members and their families. They serve as a principal source of assistance and support during deployment, mobilization and times of emergencies. Recipients of this award have exhibited selfless dedication and service to the command families.
2019 Mrs. Sybil Stockdale Ombudsman of the Year Award Recipients
Four outstanding Ombudsmen have been recognized as the 2019 Mrs. Sybil Stockdale Ombudsman of the Year Award recipients. These volunteers exemplify the spirit of Mrs. Sybil Stockdale who supported the families of Prisoners of War during her husband, Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale's internment in Southeast Asia. This award recognizes those who serve as inspirational Ombudsmen and embody the ideals of volunteer service and commitment to Navy Sailors and their families.
The following Ombudsmen were nominated by their commanding officers for serving their command and families with extraordinary, selfless dedication and commitment to family readiness.
- Mrs. Patty Shelters, Ombudsman for USS NEW YORK (LPD 21), selected from all sea commands under Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces Command.
- Mrs. Katelyn Smetana, Ombudsman for USS KIDD (DDG 100), selected from all sea commands under Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet.
- Mr. Jay Hao, Ombudsman for Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe, Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Africa, selected from all naval shore activities in the Navy.
- Mrs. Shannon Baumgartner, Ombudsman for Navy Operational Support Center Fort Carson, selected from all Reserve commands under Commander, Navy Reserve Force.
Thank you to all Command Ombudsmen who maintain the highest standards of professionalism and create a healthy sense of community by being positive role models for command members and their families.
Sample documents for the Mrs. Sybil Stockdale Ombudsman of the Year Award include the following:
- NAVADMIN 170/19 - 2019 MRS. SYBIL STOCKDALE OMBUDSMAN OF THE YEAR AWARD RECIPIENTS
- NAVADMIN 092/19 SUBJ / MRS SYBIL STOCKDALE OMBUDSMAN OF THE YEAR AWARD
- Mrs. Stockdale Ombudsman of the Year Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Sample Cover Letter
- FFSC Director's Sample Letter
- Mrs. Stockdale Ombudsman of the Year Score Sheet
- Mrs. Stockdale Ombudsman of the Year Points of Contact (POC)
- OPNAVINST 1750.1G CH-2 Navy Family Ombudsman Program
Updated: June 18, 2019