Good Afternoon Future Senior Shore Leaders!
Congratulations on your new assignment and welcome to CNIC's Senior Shore Leadership Course (SSLC)!
SSLC familiarizes you with the complexities of Shore Installation Management (SIM) and leading civilians, subjects that are foreign to many. We want you to arrive at your new command postured for success and therefore want to begin by ensuring that you are fully prepared for your Senior Shore Leadership Course (SSLC).
1. When/Where: The next SSLC will be held 1 - 12 April 2019 and EMSLC will be held 15 - 19 April 2019 on the Washington Navy Yard (WNY) at CNIC Headquarters, Bldg. 111, 5th deck, Room 510 A/B/C (map attached). Class begins promptly at 0730 on Monday, 1 April 2019. An SSLC Admin Desk will be set up on the first floor in the Atrium area for administrative/orders processing and your CAC will be programmed for access to and from the building and turnstiles on the Washington Navy Yard. New security measures are in place at the WNY so please be aware of the following:
- You will have access to the WNY via a student roster for SSLC which is available at every gate.
- You will have designated parking for SSLC so despite not having a parking placard on Day 1, you may still park in the appropriate spaces provided by the SSLC Team.
- If you are arriving early and wish to park your car on base over the weekend please use only white spaces or the designated SSLC parking area. NOTE: If you decide to park your car on the Navy Yard over the weekend, you must enter the Navy Yard via the O Street Gate, then exit by foot out any turnstile.
- We will do our best to have personnel available to assist you in gaining access to the building on Day 1, but please feel free to let any CNIC employee know you are here for SSLC or use the phone directory at each entrance to call the SSLC POC listed.
- You will complete our security check in process on Monday morning which will allow your Common Access Card (CAC) to get you into the building for the duration of the SSLC and the Emergency Management Senior Leadership Course (EMSLC). See Orders Processing notes below for specifics regarding check in.
2. How/What: The SSLC is designed as a two-week intense familiarization in SIM and the intricacies of leading civilians. The course also includes four (4) embedded mandatory courses for all students: Installation Commanding Officer Anti-Terrorism Course (ICOAT) otherwise referred to as Anti-Terrorism Force Protection (ATFP) Level III, Environmental Policy & Law (EMS), Drinking Water Training Course (required for all students) and Incident Determination Committee Training.
3. Travel: The nearest and most convenient airport to the Washington, DC area is Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA); however, Baltimore Washington International (BWI) and Dulles International (IAD) airports also service the area. When making your travel arrangements, please arrive NLT the Sunday before the start date of the course. When planning your departure, we ask that you not schedule air travel departures earlier than 1700 on graduation day as Washington, DC traffic is challenging on Fridays.
4. Schedule: The SSLC is two weeks in duration. Class will be held in Bldg. 111, 5th Deck, Room 510 A/B/C and begins daily at 0730 and typically finishes around 1600, depending on the flexibility of the presenters and the duration of Q&A sessions. Some working lunches may be required. N-Code "Round Tables", Q&A sessions, and optional one-on-one sessions will also be available with key N-code leadership throughout the duration of this course, so please notify the SSLC Team if the need arises for you to speak to one of our presenters. There will also be an ice-breaker social scheduled during the first week of class. Please do not bring any gifts/cards. Uniform for the social is the uniform of the day (see paragraph 6 below).
5. Getting Around: Mass transit opportunities abound. Please follow the link below to access the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's website where you will find maps, schedules, and a trip planner for the Metro (rail system) and the Metro Bus. The closest Metro stop (Navy Yard - Green Line) is just a 15-minute walk to our classroom. Metro Bus drops off outside the 9th and M Street Gates. A list of Metro Rail and Bus Schedules is available at http://www.wmata.com. The DC Circulator Bus is also available when arriving to/departing from the WNY. A list of DC Circulator Bus Schedules is available at http://www.dccirculator.com.
6. Uniform: The uniform of the day is either Khakis, Type II or Type III Navy Working Uniform while in the SSLC classroom, but students must bring one complete set of Service Khakis for any potential events outside the Washington Navy Yard. Commuting to and from home or hotels is authorized in any of these 3 uniform choices. (Flight Suits are NOT authorized). Business casual for civilians.
7. Getting Prepared: An information gathering form will be sent to you to collect any personal information needed to register you for the course. Course preparations include:
a. Pre-registration for our CNIC Gateway Portal (G2): It is imperative that you have a working account for SSLC, so if you are not a current CNIC employee it is mandatory that you register your credentials at least two weeks prior to the course start date. For those without the ability to register in advance, please contact the SSLC Team. Self-Registration can be found here: https://g2.cnic.navy.mil/selfregistration/
b. Student Biographies: Please ensure that you have provided your biography with photo prior to the start of class as these are prepared for review by CNIC's executive leadership and will be shared amongst your fellow classmates.
c. Orders Processing: Please remember to bring the ORIGINAL set of orders with you on the first day of class for our Command and Staff personnel to process. CNIC HQ does not man a 24-hour quarterdeck so all orders processing/stamping will be handled on Monday upon your arrival to Bldg. 111 (CNIC HQ). If you have attended courses prior to SSLC, you will need to ensure your orders have original stamps/endorsements from your previous locations. Due to the high cost of lodging in the DC area and length of processing, requests for Advanced Travel must be made from your current duty station PRIOR to arriving at CNIC HQ.
d. Visit Request: Please ensure your current Security Office submits a Visit Request in Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS) for the time you will be attending training at CNIC Headquarters. The Security Management Office (SMO) Code for CNIC Headquarters is 000524 which you will need to pass to your current Security Office.
8. Coffee/Water Mess Fee: Coffee, water, and lemon infused water is available to students daily during SSLC/EMSLC training for a one-time fee of $7/student (for those attending both SSLC & EMSLC) and $5/student (for those attending EMSLC only). Monies are collected from students (who wish to receive those beverages) on the first day of class. Cash only.
9. Working Lunch Fee: At this time, there are two working lunches scheduled during SSLC. A menu will be provided to students that wish to utilize the Flag Mess, on the first day of class in which you may select food item(s) for your working lunch. Monies for the lunches will be collected from students on the first day (prices range from $4.95-$9.95). Cash only.
10. Hotel Information: If you are on PCS orders and travelling from outside the DC area): Our SSLC and EMSLC group room block is reserved at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Washington DC Capitol - Navy Yard. If you have not yet reserved your hotel room and plan to stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Washington DC Capitol - Navy Yard, please call (202) 899-2803 to speak with Mr. Mark Ryan, Director of Sales. Hotel reservations should be made by COB 8 March 2019. SSLC/EMSLC has complimentary breakfast included in the block rate (government/per diem) at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Washington DC Capitol - Navy Yard. Please note that a Certificate of Non-Availability (CNA) will NOT be issued for your lodging. Military personnel travelling to the National Capital Region are NOT required to obtain a CNA when DoD government lodging is not available at the installation/location identified on your travel orders as outlined in the JTR.
If you are coming to CNIC HQ on TAD orders, you are encouraged to contact Navy Gateway Inns & Suites http://ngis.dodlodging.net/ for reservations at Anacostia-Bolling, JB and must have a rental car authorized for travel back and forth from JBAB to the Washington Navy Yard each day.
11. WNY Access/Parking: Please allow extra time if you plan on driving. Starting at 0600-0730 each day, reserved parking will be provided at WNY for the duration of the course along the waterfront directly in front of Bldg. 111. Parking placards are required to enter the base. Parking placards will be assigned and distributed on your first day of class for the duration of your stay and must be collected at graduation. Access will be granted on Day 1 based on access rosters provided to all gates on the WNY. Additionally, to avoid hotel parking fees, students may instead choose to offload luggage at the hotel and then drive to the WNY and park in the reserved parking area annotated on the MAP TAB on the left side of this website (any white-block parking space annotated "NSA Washington" is also acceptable). Students can then walk back to the Homewood Suites by Hilton Washington DC Capitol - Navy Yard, and thereafter walk the short distance daily to/from the classroom (10-minute walk). The reserved spots are located directly in front of Bldg. 111 and marked by parking cones. Please note that the DC Circulator Bus is another option for getting to/from the hotel to the WNY.
12. Additional Details:
EMSLC: For students remaining for the 3rd week to attend EMSLC, you will be receiving a separate EMSLC Welcome Aboard providing the necessary course information. Please contact Mr. George Zuniga, EMSLC Course Coordinator, at (619) 532-1829 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Mike Crockett, EMSLC Program Manager/Facilitator, at (757) 443-4131 (DSN 646), (757) 630-0652 (cell), or email@example.com with any questions/concerns.
NMCI: NMCI computers are available in the classroom. If you do not have an NMCI account or you are a OneNet user, you will still have access to our classroom kiosk computers during this two-week course. A CO binder and note taking supplies will be provided to you on the first day of class.
Questions: If you have any questions regarding lodging, orders, travel for the course, or any other matters, please contact the below on-site SSLC Team:
SSLC Program Manager – VACANT
SSLC Administrative Coordinator – Ms. Theresa Curbelo, (202) 433-6885 (DSN 288), Theresa.Curbelo@navy.mil