Commander, U.S. Navy Region Korea Logo Commander, U.S. Navy Region Korea
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation



If you intend to ship a pet to the Republic of Korea, contact your local veterinarian to learn about specific shots and additional medical advice including breed restrictions. The export process can involve getting a health certificate, updating vaccinations, completing disease testing, and having your paperwork reviewed and endorsed by U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. 

The Republic of Korea requires pets (including military pets/dogs) be current on their rabies vaccine (given at least 30 days prior to arrival in Korea), have an ISO-compliant microchip, receive a rabies neutralization antibody test (0.5 IU/ml or higher), and be accompanied by a valid health certificate including government endorsement. 

For the most current information on importing and exporting pets between the U.S. and the Republic of Korea, see the U.S. Department of Agriculture website at 

The Quarantine Inspection Agency determines if your pet meets all requirements for entry into the Republic of Korea. For official information on quarantine, please see the website at


Veterinary Services 


The closest U.S. military Veterinary Treatment Facility (VTF) is located at Camp Walker in USAG 

Daegu, 1.5 hr drive away. The Veterinary Clinic (DSN: 315-764-4858) provides routine and urgent medical care for pets. The clinic also has a stray animal facility that can help you to adopt a healthy pet. 

The main U.S. military veterinary clinic for the Korean Peninsula is located at USAG Yongsan in Seoul (DSN: 315-737-2450). The 106th Medical Detachment Veterinary Service Support makes periodic visits to CFAC in Chinhae. Veterinary visits are coordinated through the Medical Clinic. 

Please visit the 106th Medical Detachment Veterinary Service Support at for comprehensive information about Veterinary Services provided in Korea. 

There are no U.S. military pet boarding kennels available in Busan. This service is available at the USAG Yongsan’s Pet Care Center in Seoul at DSN: 315-736-6426 and the Osan Boarding Kennel on Osan Air Force Base in Osan at DSN: 315-784-4314. For more information, please see the Yongsan Pet Care Center website at and the Osan Boarding Kennel website at 

In the unlikely instance of an actual NEO, we will make reasonable efforts to evacuate pets of service members but pets are likely to be separated from their families during an evacuation. Only two pets per household are authorized transport in the event of a NEO. Pets are registered and tracked by the NEO Tracking System and unaccompanied pet owners need to have a pet care plan. 


Importing Pets 

The cost of transporting a pet to your new duty station is the owner’s responsibility. Pets must be flown to Korea via commercial airline. AMC flights cannot transport pets into Korea. 

There are restrictions on pet travel into Korea from May through September, due to extreme temperature. Remember for international flights, you need an International Pet Carrier that is the appropriate size for your pet. Ask your airline for exceptions to the policy. 



Exporting Pets


To leave the Republic of Korea, by Korean law, all dogs and cats must have proof of a rabies vaccination within the last year (not sooner than 30 days), a U.S. health certificate (from your military veterinarian) issued within 10 days of departure and a Korean health certificate, preferably on the day of departure. The Korean health certificate may be obtained up to three days prior to departure and is issued by a Korean veterinarian. 

For the most current information on returning with your pet, please see the U.S. Department of State website on Pets and International Travel at or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website on bringing a pet to the U.S. or the U.S. Department of Agriculture website at 

Currently, the Air Mobility Command Passenger Terminal at Osan is authorized to ship pets on outbound movements for those in PCS status only. For the most current information, please see the USFK website at and the AMC Pet Brochure at 

When your pet travels, the kennel should: 

• Clearly display your name and address 

• Use arrows or other marking to indicate the top of the kennel 

• Include food and water dishes (both empty), which are secured inside the kennel and accessible from outside 

• Show a food and water schedule and, if any food is necessary, include an ample supply in a bag attached to the outside of the kennel 

• Contain no more than one adult dog (or puppy between eight weeks and six months old that weighs more than 20 lbs.) or one cat per kennel. (Two puppies or kittens that are between the ages of eight weeks and six months old and under 20 lbs. Each may share the same kennel if they are personal pets of comparable size and are socially compatible with one another) 

• A general rule of thumb is that your pet must be able to stand comfortably in the kennel and be able to turn around while standing in the kennel 

• Contain absorbent material or bedding, such as newspaper 

• Display labels on top and on at least one side with the words LIVE ANIMALS printed in 1-inch-high letters. 

Share This Page