Commander, U.S. Navy Region Korea Logo Commander, U.S. Navy Region Korea
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation


***Incoming personnel, please visit below link.***


POVs and GOVs

To simplify the licensing process and to better align USFK traffic supervision regulations with Korean laws, USFK recently updated the USFK Regulation 190-1, Traffic Supervision and the USFK Pamphlet 385-2, Guide to Safe Driving in Korea. What does this mean to our Service Members, DoD civilians, and their respective dependents? It means all incoming personnel are authorized and encouraged to go to JKO in advance of transferring to Korea to take their USFK driver license training and test prior to their arrival. USFK Regulation 190-1 and USFK Pam 385-2 provide additional details on driver training and licensing requirements.

Please download the below PDF and follow directions for training and testing.

What to do if you get into a vehicle accident in the Republic of Korea:

IMPORTANT: Carry USFK SOFA Card at all times and follow its instructions (download a PDF copy at above link). Call CFAC Dispatch: 050-3363-5545. Do not leave the scene until cleared by proper authorities.

Per USFK SOFA Card and USFK Regulations:

  1. Attend to any injuries and take steps to prevent any further accident at the scene. Render reasonable first-aid assistance.
  2. Immediately stop at the scene of the accident or as close to it as possible.
  3. CALL CFAC Dispatch: 050-3363-5545. Then notify CNFK Quarterdeck BWC: 050-3363-8303. (Emergency phone numbers are also listed on your SOFA Card.)
    - If needed, CFAC Dispatch can get someone on the phone (i.e. a SOFA Investigator) who speaks Korean and can help with translation at the accident scene.
    - A "SOFA Representative" may be assigned later in the process *to ensure you are aware of your SOFA rights if questioned by ROK authorities.* Call CFAC Dispatch/CNFK
  4. DO NOT LEAVE THE SCENE UNTIL CFAC DISPATCH CLEARS YOU. (For minor accidents, dispatch may be able to release you over the phone. For more serious accidents, dispatch may need to send a U.S. investigator to the scene.)
  5. If ROK police arrive, cooperate and obey their instructions. Show them your driver's license/permit, SOFA Card, and ID Card. Do not leave the scene until released.
  6. Upon request, show your driver's license/permit to any person injured or to the drive of the vehicle or owner of other property damaged in the accident.
  7. IF YOU HIT UNATTENDED VEHICLE/PROPERTY: (1) Immediately stop; (2) Notify the operator or owner of the damaged vehicle/property and give name/address/vehicle registration number (If owner cannot be located --- securely attach, in conspicuous place on damaged vehicle/property, notice providing this info); (3) Notify nearest U.S. law enforcement office (call CFAC dispatch).
  8. Notify your insurance company in writing.
  9. Do not flee the scene. In the ROK legal system, vehicle accidents are often considered a criminal offense - and WILL be treated as a criminal matter if you attempt to flee the scene. Wrongfully leaving the scene of a vehicle accident is also a UCMJ offense.
  10. IF YOU ARE DETAINED BY KOREAN AUTHORITIES: Obey/cooperate, show your SOFA Card, and request the nearest U.S. military police be notified. If in ROK custody, ROK authorities may not question/interrogate you - except for preliminary questions (e.g. name, unit, phone number) - unless a U.S. SOFA Representative is present. You have the right to not make a statement, and to refuse to sign anything you cannot read or understand.


Bus Lines

The front of the bus has the destination displayed in Korean, English and Japanese. The front seats of the bus have yellow seat covers, which mean they are designated for elderly people.



If you are waving over a taxi, do not wave frantically. Put your hand out, face forward and wave your hand. Taxis are generally inexpensive. Most taxi drivers do not speak English, so it is recommended you show the destination name in Korean.

The standard fare for a regular taxi starts at 2,800- 3000 won for the first two kilometers, and then 100 won for each 143m, or every 34 seconds if the taxi is going under 15 kph. Fares increase 20% between midnight and 4 a.m.

Deluxe “mobeom” taxis charge 4,500 won for the first 3km and then 200 won for each 160m or 38 seconds.

Fares increase 20% between midnight and 4 a.m. The deluxe taxi is black and has a yellow sign on top.



Busan, Seoul and Pyeongtaek (Camp Humphreys) have extensive subway systems that connect to the KTX (Korea Train Express) trains. Chinhae relies on a bus and taxi system.



KTX high-speed trains connect Seoul to Busan with several stops in between including Daegu and Daejeon. The average trip is 2 hours and 45 minutes and will cost around 53,000 won for coach and 83,000 for first class. Tickets can be purchased at the counter through on-site English-language machines or on the internet at



ROK has seven international airports: Busan (Gimhae Airport), Cheongju, Daegu, Jeju, Muan and Seoul (Gimpo Airport and Incheon International Airport).

Incheon International Airport, about an hour west of Seoul, is the country’s largest airport, with good connections throughout the world.

There are direct inter-city buses to many locations throughout ROK just outside the international arrival hall and you can buy tickets at the airport. The airport has a direct rail service to Seoul station by the express and all stop AREX (Airport Railroad Express) trains. The express service takes 43 minutes to reach Seoul Station and offers a more mainline train journey.

The all stop train takes a slightly longer 56 minutes and offers a more subway like journey.

You can reach the airport by the AREX train, an Airport Limousine bus, or by line 5 or line 9 of the Seoul Subway.

Seoul Gimpo airport is more centrally located next to Seoul than Incheon, and offers primarily domestic flights to most South Korean cities. Busan’s Gimhae airport (PUS) has international flights to Cambodia, China, Guam, Japan, Hong Kong, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Russia, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.

If arriving/departing from Incheon Airport on Korean Air it is possible to book connecting flights to/from Busan though the airline, note that as immigration is completed in Busan, it is not possible to leave the Incheon Airport and baggage is checked right through to Busan. Air Busan and Korean Air offer flights from Seoul Gimpo to Busan which can often be cheaper than the KTX.



Share This Page