While residing in temporary lodging in Busan, you will likely have to front-load some initial out of pocket expenses. The per diem rate for Busan for fiscal year 2017 is $381 - $233 for lodging and $148 for meals and incidental expenses. Remember, you are not allowed to use your Government Travel Charge Card for travel associated with PCS.


You will receive Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) to cover those expenses, but it may take up to two months for you to receive that allowance. By spending your first few days in Chinhae, you will keep your lodging cost down as well. In either scenario, be prepared to incur debt for costs associated with arrival to Busan while finding a home. But don’t worry, you will be reimbursed later through TLA.


Sailors stationed in Busan acquire housing through the Commander, Fleet Activities Chinhae (CFAC) Family Housing Service Center located on CFAC.


The CFAC Family Housing Service Center helps service members find a rental in Busan that meets all the requirements as outlined in USFK Reg 210-51, USFK/CNIC Housing Referral Service Program. Safety inspections will be performed and a fair market price will be determined and agreed upon by the owners.


Service members will use the CFAC Family Housing Service Center. CFAC housing personnel can assist in preventing delays due to the language barrier and prevent complications such as financial dispute or eviction. All housing units must be inspected and certified by a CFAC Housing Representative as adequate and the lease must be processed by the CFAC Family Housing Service Center.


Busan has an abundance of modern apartments. However, there are still some differences from the U.S. standard such as size, electric voltage, no garage, etc. There are ample apartments all over Busan, well within the Overseas Housing Allowance limits, in popular areas including Haeundae, Kyungsung, Gwangali and Centum City.




All service members stationed in Busan will need to use the Household Goods Transportation office on USAG Daegu for inbound and outbound household goods shipping and receiving once housing has been secured. The office is located in Building T-1845 on Camp Henry in USAG Daegu at DSN: 315-768- 6794 (Inbound) and 315-768-6791 (Outbound). Please call to set up an appointment to discuss arrangements needed.



Housing for Navy personnel assigned to CNFK in Seoul is provided through U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan.


Unaccompanied personnel are normally assigned to Unaccompanied Personnel Housing (UPH) on-post.

These facilities consist of barracks, Bachelor Enlisted Quarters (BEQ), Senior Enlisted Quarters (SEQ) and Bachelor Officer Quarters (BOQ).


Unaccompanied personnel are required to reside in on-post government quarters if quarters are available for their rank. Only when UPH is full will service members be given a certificate of nonavailability and be authorized to reside off-post.


For information on UPH, call DSN: 738-5506


Accompanied, command-sponsored personnel are housed in Family Housing located on Yongsan Garrison South Post.


When you in process at the Yongsan Garrison Housing Office, your name will be placed on the appropriate waiting list for your rank and family composition. Your placement on the waiting list will be based on your eligibility date. Your eligibility date is normally the date you departed your previous duty station.


The bedroom requirement is determined by the size of your family. Couples with no children or with one child are eligible for two-bedroom units. Sponsors with two children are authorized three bedroom units and Families with three or more children are authorized four bedrooms.


Family Housing is normally available upon arrival except for four and five bedroom requirements. Families with four bedroom or larger requirements may voluntarily accept a unit with fewer bedrooms than they are authorized. This may significantly decrease the waiting time for quarters; however, keep in mind that you will be considered adequately housed for the remainder of your tour, if you elect to do this.


For information on housing travel status or availability of family housing, call DSN: 738-3211


The Housing Division is located in Building 4106, the Army Community Service (ACS) Building.


The Housing Division is a one-stop service for all housing needs including Family Housing Assignments and Terminations, UPH Assignments & Terminations, Housing Referral Services, Furnishings, and Maintenance of all types of housing. Our hours of operation are: 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and 12:30-4 p.m. Thursday.


To make an appointment for in-processing or any housing issues, please call DSN: 738-4096

For more information please go to the official US Army Garrison Yongsan page:





All service members stationed in Seoul will need to use the Army Community Service Center on USAG Yongsan for inbound and outbound household goods shipping and receiving once housing has been secured. The office is located in Building 4106 in USAG Yongsan at DSN: 315-738-7505.






All service members stationed in Chinhae or Busan need to in-process with the CFAC Family Housing Service Center within 48 hours of arrival or completion of in-processing.





Accompanied Sailors will be placed in military housing, based on availability. If appropriate housing is not available, families will live off post. There are many Korean realtors that can help families find off post housing.


Unaccompanied Sailors will normally live in one or two person barracks on post based upon rank. The Navy barracks were awarded the CEL A-list Award for the last 4 straight years.


Family housing and unaccompanied housing are available on base at Chinhae. The CFAC Housing Service Center will also assist where off-base housing is appropriate.


For more information on housing for Chinhae and Busan, please go to https://goo.gl/oxjxHA.





Eligibility for on-base housing is on a first come-first serve basis. If there is no availability on-base, the Housing Service Center (HSC) will arrange for you to move out in town. In addition, the HSC will assist you in locating adequate and affordable economy housing.


All military and civilian personnel must process their lease agreement with the Housing CFAC Family Service Center and are strongly encouraged to attend the Off-Post Housing Briefing prior to entering into a lease agreement.


Note: Only in the event of adequate quarters not being available will an unaccompanied service member be authorized to reside off-post.





The first step to moving to Busan is to make contact with the CFAC Family Housing Service Center through the Housing Early Application Tool (HEAT).


Navy Housing has developed HEAT to assist service members and their families in applying for housing Navy-wide. HEAT allows service members and their families to get the housing application process started online before or after they receive their Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders. HEAT creates an easy user experience to connect with your PCS destination. Spouses can use the application as well, needing only minimal information about their service member.


For more information about this program, please see the website at https://goo.gl/tfZgXZ.





If living on a military base is the preferred or only option for you and your family, service members and their command-sponsored dependents can apply for on-base housing at CFAC in Chinhae or U.S. Army Garrison Daegu. Be aware that Chinhae is an approximately one and a half hour drive from Busan each way, without traffic, while Daegu is approximately 2 hours drive each way, without traffic.




Once you are in the Republic of Korea, you will need to contact or stop by the CFAC Family Housing Service Center in Chinhae to be briefed on the Housing Referral Service program.


A CFAC representative will help you schedule appointments to look at apartments in Busan with a local realtor. Once you have found a home that you want, the CFAC Family Housing Service Center will inspect the property and negotiate the rental contact with the property landlord.

The CFAC Family Housing Service Center will assist the service member in completing the necessary paperwork and documentation. You will need:


• Service member’s PCS orders

• Housing Application Form (DD Form 1746)

• Sex Offender Policy Acknowledgement and Disclosure Form (CNIC 11103/1)

• Command Sponsorship for dependents

• Civilian only:

- TCS Order (DD Form 1614)

- Transportation Agreement (DD Form 1617)




All service members stationed in Chinhae will need to use the Household Goods Transportation office on USAG Daegu for inbound and outbound household goods shipping and receiving once housing has been secured. The office is located in Building T-1845 on Camp Henry in USAG Daegu at DSN: 315-768- 6794 (Inbound) and 315-768-6791 (Outbound). Please call to set up an appointment to discuss arrangements needed.


For more information, please see the CFAC Family Housing Service Center website at www. cfachousing.net or call DSN: 315-762-5454, COMM from ROK: 050-3362-5454 / 055-540-5454 or COMM from US: 011-82-10-3572-8684. For allowance or financial questions, please contact the CFAC Command Services Department at DSN:315-762-5203.


The CFAC Family Housing Service Center offers the following services for those moving to Busan:


• Maintains an open referral system via realtors or landlord that ensures customers receive up-to-date information on nondiscriminatory rental properties.

• Reviews and processes a landlord’s rental contract with the service member before signing.

• Processes the paperwork for a lease contract, Lease Agreement form and the Overseas Housing Allowance.

• Provides interpretation services in dealing with landlords.

• Provides rental agreements in English and Korean.

• Performs property and safety inspections.

• Performs conflict resolution.




Service members pay the monthly rent in the local currency, the Korean won, to the realtor or landlord and should ask for a receipt for each transaction. Service members may also pay via wire transfer if they have or acquire a Korean bank account.


All high-rise apartments and villas (five-story) require service members to pay ‘management fees,’ which are the member’s responsibility. These expenses normally appear on your monthly bill as Basic Maintenance Fees (Cleaning of common areas, use of elevators, access area lighting, security, and parking expenses) and Utilities (Electricity, water and sewer). Gas is located on another bill.

Basic Maintenance Fees vary according to the size of your chosen apartment. These varying charges must be paid with the ‘Utilities Allowance.’




In the Republic of Korea, internet and television are packaged together and provided by your landlord unless otherwise stated in your lease. A cable box comes with your apartment and is usually accompanied by a TV. If you require a modem/router, you must speak with your landlord/realtor as they are required to provide one upon request. You also have the option of bringing or purchasing a high-speed modem/router of your own. Typical streaming programs (i.e. Netflix or Hulu) may not work properly or have the same access to content as in the U.S.




Eligible service members are authorized available loaner furnishings for 90 days while waiting for their Household Goods. The CFAC Family Housing Service Center will process and schedule your furnishing request once your lease has been finalized. For more information, please contact the CFAC Family Housing Service Center at DSN: 315-762-5291 for accompanied and DSN: 315-762-5336 for unaccompanied.





Please visit https://goo.gl/SXx8fB for detailed information on military moving.


The Republic of Korea uses 220v power outlets (vs. 110v power in the US). U.S. military installations use standard U.S. 110v power outlets.


You will have four types of shipments for your PCS.


• Hand Carried and Flight Checked Baggage.

• Unaccompanied Baggage

• Household Goods Shipment

• CONUS Storage (Items normally kept in back yards, i.e. grill/patio furniture, and garage items, i.e. tool chests/ladders, are good candidates for CONUS storage)


As always, keep all your important documents and records with you as hand carried baggage. Due to increased airport security, please check with your airline or visit https://goo.gl/y47GWV or https://goo.gl/dXr8mu for more information on what is allowed in carry-on luggage.


For your checked baggage, remember to check your orders and confirm with your airline about the number of bags and the weight limit. Some suggested essentials are current seasonal clothes, comfortable shoes, personal entertainment, favorite snacks, and any car/ booster seats that you will need.


Your unaccompanied baggage or express shipment may be the only shipment you receive while you live in a hotel or temporary housing until your permanent housing is settled. Even if you move into your permanent housing right away, your household goods may not arrive for a few months. Consider sending the following items as unaccompanied baggage:


• Kitchen & eating necessities, including plates, utensils, pots and pans

• Towels (bath and kitchen)

• Bed linens including blankets and pillows

• Children’s items, particularly their favorite games and toys

• Baby crib, changing table, jogger stroller, etc

• Computer equipment

• Small hand tools (hammer, screwdriver)

• Lightweight decorations


The government allows only a certain percentage of your total weight allowance to be shipped as household goods to Korea. Please visit https:// goo.gl/dh4Ntv for more information on weight allowance. The remainder of your items will need to be placed in storage at government expense.  

Share This Page

This is an Official US Navy Website
Switch to Full Site
Switch to Mobile Site