Naval Support Activity Naples Logo Commander, Navy Region Europe, Africa, Central  |  Naval Support Activity Naples
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation

Motor Vehicle Registration

Welcome to MVRO

MVRO is located in the Village Forum at Support Site and at Capodichino in Building 450.

Onboarding Information

Because the military community is spread across various locations, transportation is a necessity in Naples. Not having a car can be stressful for you and your family. 

You should plan on shipping your car as early as possible or plan on buying a car when you arrive. Be advised that insurance premiums are extremely expensive so please research insurance costs prior to shipping your vehicle.

There is a substantial used car market in the Naples area. All vehicles (imported or purchased locally) owned by U.S. military, Department of Defense Civilians and Contractors with approved logistical support privileges must be registered in the Allied Forces Italy (AFI) Vehicle Registration System maintained by the Motor Vehicle Registration Office (MVRO).

Personnel eligible to register their vehicles with MVRO are limited to the tax-free import/registration of three vehicles at any given time while in Italy. This total includes cars, trucks, and motorcycles over 50 cc. Before purchasing vehicles, contact one of the MVRO offices to ensure it will be eligible for registration.  

We highly recommend you renew your stateside license before coming to Italy (do not assume your state has a Military Exemption/Extension clause, check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles - DMV).

Any person desiring to drive in Naples must have a current stateside Driver’s license or a valid license from another country. As stipulated in the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) eligible Drivers must obtain an AFI Driver’s License.  The AFI Driver’s License exam is given during Area Orientation following the mandatory Local Driver’s Safety Orientation Briefing.

Your AFI Driver’s License will be valid for the duration of your tour in Naples as long as you maintain a valid ID card, stateside driver’s license or valid driver’s license from another country. AFI Driver’s license privileges are not authorized for members separating or retiring overseas so please plan accordingly. 

Individuals who do not have a license may find it difficult and expensive to obtain one in Naples. Young adults (under 18) are not allowed to drive in Italy.  If you plan trips to other European countries an international license is required, available through AAA.

For more specific information please see NASUPPACT INST. 11240.29E

If you plan to rent a car (after you obtain your AFI Driver’s License) while you are waiting for your vehicle to arrive from the States, you may be authorized a temporary tax-free fuel ration from the MVRO.  This temporary ration can be used to purchase tax-free gasoline and oil.  Restrictions apply please contact MVRO for specifics.

Gasoline and oil are made available to DOD personnel in Italy on a tax-free basis - which amounts to a substantial discount from the local market to prices comparable to the United States.  Tax free fuel cards are issued by the Navy Exchange Residential Services in Naples and by MWA located at Joint Forces Command (JFC) Lago Patria.

The basis for tax-free gasoline is the sponsor's need to commute from home to work as an official duty.  The ration amount, and rationed fuel type, depends on the primary registered vehicle's engine size, engine base horsepower, and fuel requirement.  Your tax-free fuel authorization is either 100, 200 (engine over 669cc), 300 (engine over 1119cc), or 400 (6 cylinder engine over 2326cc) liters per month.  Rations for motorcycles may not exceed 200 liters per month.  The intent of this tax-free fuel ration is designed to allow no less than 1,000 kilometers of tax-free travel each month.  For most registrants, your tax-free fuel ration will accommodate your transportation needs.

The sale of AFI registered vehicles, purchased locally or shipped to Italy at government expense, are subject to the following restrictions:

     * You are prohibited from selling your vehicle to Italian or other European nationals on the local economy.

     * You can sell your POV to assigned NATO personnel who are eligible for AFI vehicle registration privileges (except Italian Military and Civilians).

     * You can sell your vehicle to eligible U.S. personnel that have AFI vehicle registration privileges.

     * All AFI registered vehicles must be properly disposed of prior to your departure via the following methods:

     * Sale to another AFI eligible registrant.

     * Driving to your new European duty location (restrictions apply).

     * Shipping your vehicle to your new duty location via government contract or commercial shipping company.

     * Scrapping the vehicle with MVRO under Italian Customs Supervision.

     * Nationalization and payment of value added taxes (VAT) and importation fees (approx. 33% of market value) for member separating or retiring in Italy.

If you’re on vacation or out of the local area and your vehicle becomes inoperable due to accident or mechanical failure, please contact MVRO immediately.  Your vehicle is under customs supervision and cannot be salvaged locally without the payment of customs taxes (VAT and importation) and customs brokers fees which are cost prohibitive. Please call us for detailed information and assistance with Italian customs laws if you must scrap your vehicle for any reason:  we’ll save you thousands of dollars!

Upon arrival in Naples, you may notice driving habits are considerably different from those in the U.S.  While at first there may seem to be no logic to the traffic patterns, a closer look will show that there are distinct rules of the road.  Learning these rules and some local driving customs will help you adjust quickly to driving in Naples.  Defensive driving is a must due to congested roads and the hurried pace of the traffic.  Despite the seemingly wild driving conditions of Neapolitan traffic, it is important to exercise a heightened level of caution to avoid becoming an accident statistic.

The following are some basic rules that govern driving in Italy.  While driving your AFI registered vehicle, you are required to have your AFI Driver’s License, United States Identification and Privilege Card (ID), your AFI Military registration and proof of insurance in your possession.  If lost or stolen, report it immediately.

Do not pick up hitchhikers.

Many intersections have no stop lights or traffic control signals.  The vehicle on the right has the right-of-way, unless there is a stop sign.

Low beams must be on at all times.  Overtaking cars, especially at night, should briefly flash their headlights to alert the car being passed. Flashing headlights are also used to signal the approaching vehicle of stopped traffic at crossroads, or to signal slower vehicles to move right and permit a faster vehicle to pass.  When a car behind you flashes its lights, move to the right lane as soon as it is safe to do so.

Although some Driver’s may take what seem like unnecessary and dangerous chances to gain only a few feet of road space, Italian law requires you to allow overtaking traffic to pass you.

While horn blowing is technically illegal in many Italian cities, it is loosely enforced.  Most people blow their horn to signal approach to an intersection or intent to pass.  Driver’s also commonly use their hazard lights to signal danger (slow or stopped traffic).

Vehicle Accidents

In the event you are involved in an accident, certain procedures must be followed.  The steps to be taken will depend upon whether the accident is classified as minor (no deaths or injuries in either vehicle) or major (death or injury to passengers in either vehicle).

Traffic Tickets 

During your tour, you may receive a traffic ticket.  Your plate number could also be taken and a ticket mailed to you at a later date.  If you receive one in the mail, do not ignore it. The fine will double up after 60 days. Most citations, if paid within 5 days are eligible for a 30% discount. Drop by the NSA Security office and request I-7’s assistance, they will fill out the postal money order for you.

If an Italian policeman along the side of the road waves what appears to be a lollipop stick (red circle on white disc), he's telling you to pull over.  If you are stopped, do not be disrespectful.  If a communication gap exists and he writes you a ticket for a violation you cannot understand, accept it and bring it to NSA Security Police for clarification. DSN: 626-5639 Commercial: 081-568-5639.  Even you are stopped at a red light, it is forbidden to use the cell phone.

Minor Accidents

Exchange license data, name and address, insurance company, policy number and vehicle tag numbers (insurance data is located on the insurance certificate).  Do not leave the scene until information is exchanged.  Try to obtain names and addresses of witnesses.  Report the incident to your insurance company within 48 hours.

It is necessary that all accidents be reported to NSA Security Department. If the incident results in vehicle damage to private, state or municipal property (light poles, stop signs, building, etc.) notify NSA Security Police immediately. DSN: 626-5639 Commercial: 081-568-5639.  Generally, minor accidents are a matter between individuals and their insurance companies.

Major Accidents

Assist injured if possible:  Italian law requires that you render assistance to anyone injured in a traffic accident whether you also were involved in the accident or were just a passerby.

Under Italian law, you may be required, when/if possible, to transport the injured.  This should be done as rapidly and safely as possible.  Your vehicle will be regarded as an emergency vehicle when you turn on your headlights, honk your horn, and display a white cloth or handkerchief from the window.

Notify Security Police immediately and ask for help.  Try to obtain names and addresses of witnesses.  Remain on the scene, if able, until the accident has been investigated by the Security Police or Italian police.

In both major and minor accidents, obey the Italian authorities.  They have jurisdiction and can arrest you if you do not cooperate fully.  Red plastic triangles are required by Italian law and should be put on the road to caution other drivers of an accident.  You are also required to wear a reflective safety vest when stopped and exiting your vehicle. These items are available at the NEX Autoport and on the local economy.  They should be carried in your vehicle at all times.

If you are the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident that injures or kills another person, criminal charges may be initiated automatically by the investigating police, regardless of the ultimate determination of fault. 

Prompt notification to your commanding officer and Naval Legal Service Office is important to protect your rights, and to obtain the services of an Italian attorney under contract to the U.S. Government to represent you.

In case of an accident, personnel having automobile liability insurance with an Italian firm are required to notify that company within 48 hours of the accident.  Failure to notify the company within the time period can be justification for the company's refusal to accept liability.

Stricter DUI/DWI laws

On the first of August 2010, Italy passed a new traffic law: (Legge 29.07.2010 n° 120) which prohibits drivers 21 and under from having any alcohol whatsoever in their systems (BAC of greater than .00 is in violation of the law).  This also applies to drivers with less than 3 years driving experience and commercial drivers (CDL) that could now be terminated from their jobs for DUI driving.

From 0,5 not to exceed 0,8 gr/per litre (equivalent to 2 glasses of wine or 2 cans of beer) fines will be levied from Euro 500 to Euro 2,000, as well as suspension of Driver’s license for a period of 90 to 180 days, also detention up to 1 month or social services as deemed fit by the judge.

From 0,8 not to exceed 1,5 gr/per litre, fines will be levied from Euro 800 to Euro 3,200 as well as suspension of Driver’s license for a period of 180 to 365 days, also detention up to 3 months or social services as deemed fit by the judge.

Above 1,5 gr/per litre, fines will be levied up to Euro 6,000 as well as suspension of Driver’s license for a period of one to two years, also detention up to 6 months or social services as deemed fit by the judge.

For all three phases if blood alcohol content test is denied, the suspect can be fined from Euro 2,500 to Euro 10,000.  Should the suspect be involved in a traffic accident, the amount levied will increase from Euro 3,000 to Euro 12,000.

For drivers under the influence of drugs fines levied are from Euro 1,000 to Euro 4,000 and arrest up to 3 months or social services as deemed fit by the judge. Driver’s license privileges will be suspended from 6 months to 1 year.

Driving Without a Valid or Revoked License

Fines from Euro 2,257 to Euro 9,032. Should the persons be convicted for the same crime within a period of two years the subject can be arrested for a period of one year.

Speed Limits

A person exceeding a speed limit ranging from 40 Km/hr to 60Km/hr over the acceptable limit will be fined from Euro 370 to Euro 1,458 and Driver’s license privileges will be suspended from 3 months to 6 months. 

Should the persons be convicted for the same crime within a period of two years the Driver’s license can be revoked for a period of 8 months to 18 months.

A person exceeding a speed limit by more than 60Km/hr over the acceptable limit fines will be levied from Euro 500 to Euro 2,000 and Driver’s license privileges will be suspended from 6 months to 1 year. 

If a person is convicted for the same crime within a two year period the Driver’s license will be revoked indefinitely.

Use of Cell Phones

Hands-free telephone devices must be used while operating a motor vehicle both on and off base.

Road Signs

Some road signs used in Italy are a bit different from international road signs.

If you plan on bringing your motorcycle to Italy, you must register the vehicle in the AFI Vehicle Registration System as soon as it arrives and inform the PPSO (Personal Property Shipping Office).  All motorcycles 50cc and above will count towards your 3 vehicle limit.  Therefore if you register 2 motorcycles you can only then register 1 more vehicle (car or motorcycle). Failure to register your motorcycle will limit your ability to ship the vehicle when you PCS and can result in heavy fines from Italian Ministry of Finance.  You are required to have a motorcycle endorsement on your AFI Driver’s License, before you can register any motorcycle.  Prior to registering and operating a motorcycle on or off base all personnel will be required to attend/pass the NSA Naples motorcycle safety course and obtain a letter of authorization to register a motorcycle from the Safety Office.  If necessary military members will need to attend/pass further motorcycle safety classes. Please contact the Safety Office for details.  Helmets are required and they must meet DOT and Italian specifications. 

Share This Page