Naval Support Activity Naples Logo Commander, Navy Region Europe, Africa, Central  |  Naval Support Activity Naples
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation


Converting Motorcycles


  1. In order to ship a foreign made motorcycle back to the United States in your personal property shipment, the motorcycle must be REBUILT to meet U.S. Specifications. A document with the Company's Letterhead must accompany the motorcycle and must state that the motorcycle/scooter was rebuilt to meet U.S. Specifications. This letter along with the motorcycle/scooter must then be inspected by a Military Customs Inspector to ensure all D.O.T. & E.P.A. stickers have been placed on the motorcycle/scooter. Motorcycles must also have D.O.T. tires, as well as a stamp on the muffler concerning Noise and Air Emissions. Contact us prior to your purchase to ensure all goes smooth and you will not have problems when it comes time to ship the vehicle home.
  2. If you do not or cannot rebuild this motorcycle to meet U.S. Specifications, you will be forced to ship the motorcycle directly to a registered importer who can then bring the motorcycle up to U.S. Specifications. You, the owner, must locate the registered importer and contact them. You may incur extra expenses for shipping or other additional expenses.
  3. If you are purchasing a new foreign made vehicle, you should ask the company if you can special order a U.S. Spec Bike. This will usually take a few extra weeks but will save you in the long run. Additional questions should be directed to the Military Customs & Personal Property Departments.


EPA Form 3520-1 and DOT Form HS-7 ARE required for all mopeds 50cc and above. There is no exclusion by engine size for the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.


Share This Page