Without Command Sponsorship, dependents (except EU citizens) are considered tourists who are limited to 90 days in country with little support authorized from the U.S. Navy.
Being granted Command Sponsorship means that your family members are approved to accompany a DoD member “Outside the Continental U.S.” (OCONUS) for the length of his or her tour. Command Sponsorship of dependents is not guaranteed. DoD members must apply for Command Sponsorship, which includes an Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) Screening of each family member, and then obtain approval from members gaining command in Europe before traveling overseas with family.
Without command sponsorship, the service member and dependents are not entitled to the benefits listed below:
· No-Fee Passport and Italian Visa
· Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) with dependent(s) rate
· Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) with dependent(s) rate
· Personal Property household goods shipment with dependent(s) weight allowance
· Reside in on-base housing
· Environmental and Morale Leave (EML)
· Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DoDDS)
· Government transportation to sponsor’s next duty station
· Departure Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)
It is strongly discouraged that members bring family members to Italy at own expense prior to requesting and receiving preliminary command sponsorship approval.