Naval Support Activity Naples Logo Commander, Navy Region Europe, Africa, Central  |  Naval Support Activity Naples
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation

Sojourner Permit and Codice Fiscale

Sojourner Permit

Within eight days of their arrival in Italy, all military family members and DoD civilian employees and their family members are required to apply for a Sojourner Permit, the Permesso di Soggiorno. The Italian government issues this document. A Sojourner Permit is a confirmation of your legal resident status in Italy, much like an American Green Card. If you do not have a visa upon arrival in Italy, you cannot obtain a Sojourner Permit. It is different from a visa, which is merely an approval for entry to the country. Italian law requires all foreign personnel working or living within Italy, other than an active-duty service member under military orders, to apply for a Sojourner Permit within eight days of arrival in Italy.

All applicants over 14 years of age must apply in person, as each person’s signature is required at the time of application. Part of this procedure is the requirement to fingerprint individuals aged 18 and older.

As part of the Area Orientation process, the Region Legal Service Office, Europe Africa, Southwest Asia (RLSO EURAFSWA) assists in preparation and overseas the acquisition of the Sojourner Permit for all personnel attached to U.S. Navy commands in the Naples area. Army and Air Force personnel stationed at JFC must apply for Sojourner Permits through the Carabinieri at the JFC Provost Marshall’s Office, Building L.

Before you travel to Italy, you must have all necessary documents for the permit – specifically, a Missione visa issued by an Italian Consulate inside your no-fee U.S. passport. It is vital to work with your sponsor and new command to ensure that you have all necessary documents before you detach.

Civilians should always carry their Sojourner Permit and passport when traveling to other countries. While commuting in the local area, it is a good idea to carry a photocopy of your Sojourner Permit in case you are stopped by the police. Military members should, of course, always carry their military ID cards with them. 

Codice Fiscale

A Codice Fiscale is like an Italian Social Security number. It allows you to sign up for services on the Italian economy like registering kids for Italian schools, signing up for sports, setting up utilities/internet and starting cell phone service.

DoD members will receive a Codice Fiscale application at Area Orientation for themselves and their sponsored dependents. Bring ID cards and no-fee passports, copies of orders and then fill out a form. Housing will file applications for you.

Share This Page