Naval Support Activity Naples Logo Commander, Navy Region Europe, Africa, Central  |  Naval Support Activity Naples
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation

Vehicle Registration

Each service member, DoD civilian or contractor is authorized to register a maximum of three vehicles at one time in the local Motor Vehicle Registration Office (MVRO). When you register your automobile or motorcycle with MVRO, the vehicle will be entered into the AFI Vehicle Registration System, and you will be issued Italian cover plates free of charge. You will be required to pay a one-time registration fee of 20 euro for each vehicle you register in the AFI system.

If you register more than one vehicle, the second and third vehicles are subject to payment of Italian road taxes. Road taxes are based upon the size of the engine and age of the vehicle (Euro Classification) ranging from 5 to 100 euro per month.

Each year, one month prior to your registration anniversary month you will be required to revalidate your registration before you can receive your tax-free petroleum products. Upon receipt of any required fees, MVRO will update your vehicle registration and renew your tax-free petroleum ration. All vehicles must meet the criteria set forth in the NSA Naples Instruction 11240.19G (privately owned vehicle inspection). Vehicles failing to meet inspection criteria will have gas rations suspended until appropriate repairs have been made.

To comply with the Status of Forces Agreement, all registration services must be done in the name of the sponsor. Local hires and dependents are not granted Allied Forces Italy (AFI) vehicle registration privileges. If the previous title or registration is in the name of the dependent, you will be required to transfer ownership into the name of the sponsor. This will not affect ownership of the vehicle when you return to the United States.


Documents required for the registration:

- Valid original vehicle title, previous registration or certificate of origin (with no liens or with written authorization from the lien holder acknowledging vehicle description, location and amount and term of lien);

- Proof of insurance (originals only);

- AFI driver’s license;

- Proof of eligibility: military/civilian ID and PCS orders;

- Shipping documents/importation documents/safety inspection;

- Applicable registration fees (20 euro and road taxes, if applicable);

- DoD civilians are required to furnish a stamped copy of their orders from HRO, DoDEA Employees are required to provide DD FORM 1614, and Contractors required to provide a valid DOCPER letter


Documents the sponsor will receive after registration:

- Original Military Registration and Certificate of title of Motor Vehicle;

- Italian (cover) license plates;

- Petroleum products authorization



To operate any motorcycle or other two-wheeled vehicle, the registered owner/operator must be 18 years of age and have a motorcycle endorsement on his or her U.S. license. Before registration and licensing, all individuals must show evidence of successfully completing an approved motorcycle safety course here in Naples, if they do not have a previous stateside endorsement.

Driver’s License

Any person desiring to drive in Naples must have a current U.S. driver’s license or a valid license form another country. As stipulated in the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), eligible drivers must obtain an AFI diver’s license by attending a local traffic safety-driving course and passing a 48-question road sign test. The exam, along with the Alcohol and You test, is given during Area Orientation immediately following the mandatory Local Driver Safety Orientation Briefing.

Your AFI driver’s license will be valid for five years as long as you maintain a valid ID card. AFI driver’s license privileges are not authorized for members separating or retiring overseas, so please plan accordingly. We highly recommend you renew your U.S. license before coming to Italy. (Do not assume your state has a military exemption or extension clause; check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles or Department of Licensing to be sure.)

If you plan trips to other European countries, an international license, available through AAA offices, is required.

Note: Regardless of U.S. licensing, individuals under 18 are not allowed to drive in Italy.

For more specifics, see NAVSUPPACT INST. 11240.29D.

Auto Insurance

Vehicle insurance for the Naples area is expensive; the cost depends on the vehicle’s make, model and year, and age of the driver. Vehicles shipped at government expense cannot be released for registration and use without proof of valid insurance.

Third-party liability insurance is mandatory in Italy for all automobiles, trucks and two-wheeled vehicles, including mopeds. Policy conditions and premiums are established by law and are standardized throughout the country. Premiums vary according to the horsepower of the vehicle and the location of registration. If a vehicle has been insured with only minimum coverage, liability for death or injuries to passengers in that automobile are not covered. To provide this insurance, the owner must specifically ask the insurance agent for coverage.

Comprehensive and collision coverage are not included in the compulsory insurance; they are optional and specifically must be requested. In addition, comprehensive and collision coverage is not always available through Italian insurance companies. Many U.S. insurance companies are not licensed in Italy.

Check with your insurance company and the nearest government transportation office concerning insurance coverage during shipment overseas. It is a good idea to have new policies become effective upon arrival of the vehicle in Italy. GEICO and USAA are available on Support Site.

Share This Page