You may have to leave your house during a disaster and may sleep somewhere else for a while. It is smart to put together your own Kid’s Activity Survival Kit so you will have things to do and share with other kids. These can all be stored in a backpack or duffel bag. Just make sure you can carry it easily.
Some suggested items for the Kids Activity Survival Kit:
- A factual book about earthquakes, hurricanes and tornadoes, rain, storms, floods and fires
- A children's earthquake book, book about storms, a few favorite general books which encourage comfort
- A few of your favorite books
- Non-toxic marking pens, crayons, pencils, and plenty of paper
- Scissors and glue
- Manipulative toys such as LEGOS
- 2 favorite small toys, at least 1 doll and 1 action figure
- 1 or 2 board games, table puzzles
- Favorite stuffed animal or puppet
- Small play vehicles such as an ambulance, fire truck, helicopter, dump truck, police car, tractor with blade
- Small people figures to use with the trucks and emergency vehicles
- Favorite blanket and/or pillow
- Picture of the family, including pets, write names on the back
- "Keep safe" box with a few treasures of little things your child feels are special
Note to Parents
During evacuation, the MWR Director will provide certified child care personnel at each embarkation point to assist parents with supervision of their children.
Parents need to make sure to have at least three phone numbers of the nearest Next of Kin in the United States. This information should be given and kept on file with the school and CDC.
Parents should train their children to know the full name of the parents and the rest of the family members in the United States.