Commander Fleet Activities Sasebo Logo Commander, Navy Region Japan  |  Commander Fleet Activities Sasebo
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation

Driving in Japan

Driving in Japan is a privilege granted to personnel working in Japan under the Status of Forces Agreement. To meet the conditions of this agreement the following basic requirements must be met.

Private Vehicle License Requirements

Operators must be 18 years old and free of all relevant physical and mental disabilities.

  • Active duty personnel E-4 and below are required to have approval from their respective Commanding Officer or Officer in Charge. CFAS and tenants without an Officer must submit chits VIA CFAS, CSO. All GOV license applicants need a signed form from their Command.
  • Active duty personnel under 26 years of age must complete the NKO course “Driving for a life” or other equivalent traffic safety course and bring certificate to the class.
  • All personnel who desire to receive a Private Owned Vehicle or Government Owned Vehicle driver’s license must attend base INDOC (AOB/ICR) which includes a written and road test.
  • All personnel must have a valid U.S. or U.S. Territory operator's license. There are no provisions in Japan to obtain a driver’s license for never before licensed individuals.
  • Primary family members other than a spouse must meet all of the following criteria: be 18 years old, a high school graduate, be attending college and have a full- or part-time job. Individuals must submit a request for driving privileges to CFAS via the sponsor's chain of command.
  • Motorcycle operators must attend the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course or have attended the course within the past three years. Anyone who desires to obtain a sports type motorcycle should attend a MSRC (Motorcycle Sports Bike Rider Course) before coming to Sasebo. 







Share This Page