The CFAY Safety Department offers a variety of classes designed to help you stay safe on the road. Whether you're a first-time driver, a cyclist, or you just want to improve on your driving skills, we have something for you!
A bicycle is considered as "a vehicle", not "a pedestrian", while you are riding under the Japanese Road and Traffic Law. It is very important to understand and follow the traffic rules and regulations as well as use proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
CFAY General Bicycling Safety Tips, English version (PDF)
CFAY General Bicycling Safety Tips, Japanese version 日本語版 (PDF)
How to inspect your bicycle helmet, English version (PDF)
How to inspect your bicycle helmet, Japanese version 日本語版 (PDF)
Motor Vehicle Safety
15-Passenger Vans/Mini Buses
- NTSB Safety Alert
- Risk of Roll-Over Crashes
To operate a Government Owned Vehicle (GOV) with 11 passengers and above including a driver in Japan, an OF-346 for the buses is required. Contact CFAY Drivers License Office for more information.
Local Hazard Course
This class, facilitated by the CFAY Safety Department, will familiarize new arrivals with local Japanese driving laws/regulations, traffic signs and customs. This course immediately follows the AOB/ICR wrap-up on Friday morning. A written examination will be conducted after the lecture is completed.
A pre-requisite to obtaining a Drivers License at CFAY is proof of attendance at the Area Orientation Brief / Inter-cultural Relations Class (AOB/ICR). AOB/ICR is offered every Monday through Friday on every week that does not contain a federal holiday. AOB/ICR is facilitated by the Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC) and for registration, contact FFSC as 243-3372.
Location: Bldg. #3365, Community Readiness Center 4th Floor
Time: Every Friday 0915 - approx. 1430
Study guide download: CFAY Driving Instruction Manual 2008 (PDF)
The study guide booklets are available at the IOB/ICR site on Monday lunch period. A license examiner will issue a copy for you.
Also they are available at the Drivers License Office any time if you prefer to check out one for your study.
AAA Driver Improvement Program (DIP)
Location: Bldg. #J-196, 2nd Floor CFAY Safety Training Room
Time: 0800 thru 1600 with 1 hour recess
Registration: ESAMS (AAA DIP Online Registration Guide)
***Please check course language*** 日本語・英語を選択して下さい。
- Class start time is 08:00. Advise students to arrive 15 minutes early to start the class on time.
- All students must attend 100% of the class at one time. Anyone who requires an excuse from any part of the class must have a proven emergency to complete the course in sections.
- Maximum class size is 20 personnel
- Children are not permitted in this class. Child care must be arranged in advance.
- This course is available in both English and Japanese languages. Please check your language selection when you sign-up online by clicking "Enrollment Information" in the course listing.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Courses
Basic Rider Course (BRC), 16 hours, 2 days
Experienced Rider Course (ERC), 8 hours, 1 day
Military Sports Rider Course (MSRC), 8 hours, 1 day
Location: USARJ Yokohama North Dock
- For details, Contact the Cape Fox Professional Services (Training Provider) at DSN 243-2370.
COMLEACTINST 5800.2G (PDF)
CFAY Driving Instruction Manual 2008 (PDF)
Navy Driver's Handbook NAVFAC MO-403 (PDF)
AAA DIP Online Registration Guide (PDF)
Appropriate Footwear for Driving (PDF)
How To Read Tire Manufacture Date (PDF)