Traveling to Singapore for PCS?
Your Sponsor will meet you at the airport and transport you (and your family) to your temporary lodging. If you are within one week of flying to Singapore on PCS orders and do not know who your sponsor is, regardless of the command you're reporting to, please call the Singapore Area Coordinator Family Services office at (+65) 6750-2945.
Traveling to Singapore for your Navy Reserve drill period?
Your time in Singapore will be some of the most rewarding ever. Here are some lessons learned and information that may make your travel to and from Singapore a little easier.
Before You Leave Home
- Records - Bring a copy of your Page 2 (Record of Emergency Data). The travel itinerary sheet or a copy of the airline ticket you traveled on should be attached to your orders.
- Security - If your drill site requires a clearance, make sure it is in place prior to your arrival. Your NOSC should have passed the security information via message or a faxed copy of your Record of Investigation (OPNAV 5520/20) prior to reporting onboard. Physical security and information security are more stringent overseas. Expect to be required to show your ID and orders each time you enter any military installation in Singapore.
- An Information Assurance annual training certificate (NKO certificate is acceptable) will be required for access to the Navy internet (One-Net) that is used in Western Pacific.
- Billeting - Billeting reservations should be made through NAVPTO New Orleans. Once you receive your flight itinerary, you can confirm your billeting status by checking your itinerary form carefully for the codes appropriate for your drill site, or for the Certificate of Non-availability number (C.N.A.) if you'll be staying out on the economy. CBQ indicates the member will stay in government berthing while a CNA means the member will stay in a hotel out in town. Hotels in Singapore range from $180-400 nightly. For reservations at Singapore's Navy Gateway Inns and Suites, call 1-877-628-9233 in CONUS; from Singapore, call +65-6752-8245.
Arrival in Singapore
- Airport Information – Singapore has one major airport, Changi International. Expect to clear customs at Changi. Have your ID, orders, immigration paperwork (and, if you have one, your official or tourist passport) handy. Inside the customs area is a booth to exchange your U.S. dollars for Singapore Dollars; exchange at least $50 U.S. dollars to pay for your taxi. As you exit customs, go straight ahead and you will see the taxi line. A taxi ride to Sembawang-from Changi airport is approximately S$25. It is very important that prior to your departure from the U.S. that you communicate your travel plans with the Command Admin Officer at +65-6750-2504, DSN 315-421-2504.
- Time - Singapore is 12 (or 13 in daylight savings time) hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time. Thus, 1400 Tuesday in Singapore is 0200 on Wednesday in Washington, DC.
- Taxi Directions - If you have reservations at the Gateway Inn, tell your driver to take you to the Navy Gateway Inn at 295 Durban Road in Sembawang; all Singapore taxis have GPS. If you're staying in commercial lodging, provide your driver the name of your hotel.
Navy Exchange, Commissary, MWR Facilities
A current, valid ID card will allow you to exercise unlimited shopping privileges at the Navy Exchange. Additionally, you will be able to take advantage of the many local MWR offerings.