Housing for Unaccompanied Personnel

The Housing Service Center (HSC) staff is ready to assist unaccompanied personnel reporting to Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek and will help in determining housing eligibility, options and locating acceptable housing.  The HSC has a number of excellent housing choices and services.

Navy Housing for Unaccompanied Personnel

The HSC has buildings with 480 spaces each, 2 buildings with 3 wings of 270 spaces each and 3 buildings with 3 wings of 336 spaces all fully furnished with amenities.

There are two UH buildings: Hutchin Hall and Williams Hall.  They have the same floor plans for housing residents with 5 floors and an elevator to move about, each room has 2 beds with mattresses; odd and even rooms share combined bathrooms.  Rooms include a refrigerator, microwave oven, wall-mounted HDTV, desk and chair, iron organizer, locker, lamp, shade and a vacuum.  Laundry facilities for both buildings are located in 3606A main Quarter Deck.  There is also a game room for resident entertainment, WIFI available in the lounge area, snack machines and outside gazebos with grills for entertainment.  Our Hammond Hall Building has three wings with each wing having three floors (no elevator; short steps to the next level).  Rooms include two beds with mattresses and one bathroom shared with a roommate.  Rooms include a refrigerator, microwave oven, two closets, wall-mounted HDTW, two desks and chairs, iron organizer, lamp, shade and a vacuum located in the lounge.  There is also WIFI available in the lounge area with snack machines provided.  Our Scott Hall building 3604 designed with three wings and three floor for School of Music Service Members attending the school.  Fort Story buildings are 860, 861 and 862 with wings attached to each room and a common area that is shared by both residents.  There are outside gazebos with grills for entertainment. 


Depending on your assignment status (shore duty, sea duty, student, etc.) and pay grade, your options may include Navy unaccompanied housing (UH), housing in the local community or unaccompanied Public-Private Venture (PPV) housing.

Sea and shore duty personnel within pay grades E1-E3 and E4 (with less than 4 years’ service) can expect to reside in permanent party UH or UH PPV.

Based on local conditions, 50 to 75 percent of E4 with more than 4 years of service may be housed in UH.  Students will reside in one of our student housing facilities. More senior personnel are expected to reside in the local community.  UH are government-owned and managed housing.  Eligibility is based on your pay grade and basic allowance for housing (BAH) entitlement.

UH Unit Qualities:

  • Comfortable, fully-furnished.
  • Clean, safe and secure housing.
  • Location, location, location:
    • Close to work (no traffic).
    • Base recreation.
    • Shopping.
    • Additional installation support services.
  • No - Rent fees (government-owned only).
  • Fees - No utilities, no land-line phone, cable and internet (if needed).  Note: BAH [or Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA)] will stop.
  • UH moving information

Housing Resources

There is a full range of housing options if interested in renting or purchasing.  Be sure to check in with us at the HSC for all of the latest information, listings and assistance.  We will assist you in locating appropriate rental housing to meets your needs and offer protection from leases and avoiding discrimination with your housing agreement.

The HSC works closely with landlords and property managers in the community which lead to the Rental Partnership Program (RPP).  There are many advantages renting within the RPP including: properties inspected by the HSC, reduced or no security deposits, payment by allotment and discounts on rent.  When you are authorized to live in the local community, you will draw BAH (or OHA).  Information on local community housing.

UH PPV is a partnership between the government and a private management company.  The private partner manages and operates the facilities with government oversight.  Our facilities are comparable to some of the best available in the local community.  When you live in UH PPV, a signed lease is needed, draw BAH and pay rent by allotment.

Share This Page

This is an Official US Navy Website
Switch to Full Site
Switch to Mobile Site