The Rental Partnership Program (RPP) is designed to provide active duty military personnel, enlisted and officer, single or married, with affordable off-base housing. This program is governed by an established RPP agreement between the landlord and Commander, Naval Submarine Base (NSB) New London enabling military personnel to rent off-base housing at a reduced rate.
Application fees and credit check fees are waived under this program. The Service Member may be charged a security deposit, equal to one month’s rent, contingent upon the outcome of the resident’s selection criteria review. The landlord may deny renting to an RPP applicant based on prior negative rental references, when unrelated to financial issues. The RPP requires applicants to meet income requirements, and the military tenant must agree to never allow their rent to fall into a delinquent status. The landlord may make renter’s insurance and liability insurance mandatory for the military RPP applicant.
Units that are offered for the RPP are evaluated and qualified to meet the highest standards.
For additional information on this program, please call the Housing Service Center (HSC) at (860) 694-3851 and ask for the RPP counselor.
RPP Applicant Overview
** Some single E5 and below Service Members are required to have an approved chit signed by their commanding officer or NSB New London commanding officer to live off base and draw basic allowance for housing (BAH). Please speak to the RPP counselor for full details. **
- The following documents need to be provided to the HSC to begin the RPP application process:
• Copy of orders to NSB New London or a tenant command showing a projected rotation date of at least 6 months.
• Current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES).
• Approved BAH chit for required personnel.
- Once the Service Member is counseled and signes the RPP counceling sheets, the RPP application is processed and a Verification of Eligibility (VOE) letter issued to the Service Member. The Service Member's eligibility amount is determined by the authorized BAH rate for their pay grade. BAH is to cover rent and utilities.
- Available RPP rental property listings can be found on www.Homes.mil.
- Upon finding a home, the Service Member submits the original VOE letter to the landlord. The Service Member then reviews and signs the lease. The landlord fills out a Letter of Intent (LOI), which the Service Member must return to the HSC with a copy of the signed lease, including any addendums.
- For additional information on this program, please call the HSC at (860) 694-3851 and ask to speak to one of the RPP counselors.