Naval Submarine Base New London Logo Commander, Navy Region Mid-Atlantic  |  Naval Submarine Base New London
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation

Housing FAQs

Q:  Where do I go to find Temporary Lodging?
A:  The Navy Housing Service Center (HSC) has a wealth of information about the Groton area and can be very helpful with any type of lodging or housing question.  Call (860) 694-3851 or toll-free (877) 843-5236.  You can make reservations for the Navy Lodge by calling (800) NAVY-INN.  Also available is the Susse Chalet Hotel, the transient government quarters for E6 and below, and Navy Gateway Inns and Suites (NGIS).  The number to make reservations is (860) 694-3416.

►Important Check-In information◄

For a permanent change of station (PCS), before arranging any temporary lodging, please check into the NGIS.   Service Members, regardless of marital status, must ensure they receive either an endorsement of their orders or a Certificate of Non-Availability (CNA) from NGIS.  The endorsement or CNA, along with lodging receipts, must be submitted to Personnel Support Detachment (PSD) for reimbursement of temporary lodging expenses (TLE) on your travel claim.  Failure to provide these documents may hinder your entitlement to reimbursement.


Q:  How do I get assigned to a barracks room?
A:  Report to NGIS at O'Kane Hall (building 429) to obtain a room at the barracks.  The front desk is open 24 hours.  If you would like to reserve a room in advance, call (860) 694-3416.


Q:  Who do I contact to obtain base housing?
A:  The Navy HSC's phone number is (860) 694-3851 or toll-free (877) 843-5236.  Navy family housing is available at Naval Submarine Base New London to married personnel in any pay grade.  However, there are waiting lists with wait times of 0 to 2 months depending on rank and family composition.

The HSC can also be contacted through the Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT).  Navy Housing has developed HEAT to assist Service Members and their families in applying for housing Navywide.  HEAT allows Service Members and their families to apply for housing at one or more Navy installations online before or after they receive their PCS orders.


Q:  I'd like to live in non-government housing.  What do I need to do?  Who can help me find a home?
A:  The HSC, (860) 694-3851, will be able to assist you in registering and answer any questions you may have.  


Q:  How will the waiting list process be managed?
A:  The HSC will maintain the referral lists by rank and bedroom size.  The HSC will refer units as they become available.


Q:  How will the assignment process work?
A:  You will report to the HSC first upon arrival.  You will fill out an application with your current orders.  The HSC will determine the bedroom entitlement then send you to Balfour Beatty Communities for a home.


Q:  How is a rental agreement made?
A:  A rental agreement is a legal agreement between tenant and landlord; therefore, it is constituted as a lease.  Before signing such an agreement, it is wise to read it and understand it.


Q:  When can a landlord withhold part or all of my deposit?
A:  A landlord can withold deposit for the following reasons:

  • Compensation for the tenant's possible nonpayment of rent.
  • Damage to the premises.
  • Nonfulfillment of the rental period (tenant moves out early).
  • Any unpaid bills, which become a lien against the rental property due to the tenant's occupancy.
  • Costs of re-renting the premises after breach by the tenant.
  • Costs of removal and storage of tenants' property after a summary ejectment ("eviction") proceeding.
  • Court costs in connection with terminating the tenancy.

A landlord may not use the deposit to cover normal wear and tear to the premises.  Nor may a landlord charge more than his actual losses against the security deposit.

The landlord must return the deposit to the occupant with in a "reasonable length of time" of the lease termination date.  The industry recognizes this to be within a 30 day period.  The landlord must provide the tenant with an itemized list of any deposit deduction withheld for whatever reason.  Contact the HSC for assistance if your deposit is not returned within a reasonable length of time.


Q:  What should I look for in my contract?
A:  The contract or lease should record the full names and identifications of the parties involved in signing the contrac; the specific address of the unit involved; the beginning and ending dates of the total rental period; the total amount of rent payable; the amount of the rent deposit; and the amount and due dates of subsequent payments required.

Blank spaces not applicable to your lease should be filled in with "N/A".

It should provide provisions for cancellations (military clause, deployment and PCS orders), extensions of lease beyond the first rental period (1 year, 6 months, month-to-month option, 7 day notice to vacate, etc.).

It should specify the landlord's rights and responsibilities as well as the tenant's.  The contract should clearly state the utilities and services applied by the landlord in the rental charge.

Many contracts will also include operating policies or house rules that are applicable to the tenants.  If not observed, they can be cause for eviction.


Q:  When can a tenancy be terminated?
A:  A landlord can terminate (end) tenancy at the end of the lease period.  In addition, a landlord can terminate a tenancy at any time if the tenant has done any of the following:

  • Failed to pay the rent.
  • Materially damaged the rental property ("committed waste").
  • Interfered with other tenants ("committed a nuisance").
  • Used the rental unit for unlawful purposes.
  • Violated any provision of the rental or lease agreement (including improper assigning or subletting of the unit).


Q:  When considering renting an apartment or house, what problems are often overlooked?
A:  When looking for an apartment, here are the necessary actions to take:

  • Investigate the location for crime and convenience to the base. 
  • Don't let the landlord or owner show you a model; see the apartment or house you will be living in. 
  • Read over the lease completely.  Make sure you understand everything in it, if you do not bring it to the HSC or the Base Legal Office to review it with you. 
  • Before you sign the lease, make a thorough inspection of the premises.  Annotate any existing damages or defects on a Unit Condition Report, so that you will not be held responsible for them at the end of the term.  When finished, have the landlord sign and date the list.  Provide a copy of the inspection list to the landlord and keep a copy for yourself. 

Call the HSC at (860) 694-3851 if you encounter any problems while inspecting the rental, signing the lease, during residency or clearing your unit.


Q:  Can the landlord raise my rent?
A:  Once the lease is signed, this is a binding contract.  The amount of the rent cannot be raised until the lease is up.  When the lease ends, or there is no written agreement, the landlord may increase the rent.  When increasing rent, the landlord must give the tenant the proper notice.  The procedures for this required notice is the same as "ending the agreement."  If you are opposed to the increase, you have the right to move prior to its effective date.


Q:  If I move before my lease or rental agreement ends, can I lose my deposit?
A:  Not only can the deposit be lost, the landlord may be able to collect the remainder of the rent for the lease period.

Termination fees can be very expensive.  Make sure your lease provides you adequate protection if you are required to vacate early (i.e.  PCS out of area, extended TAD or TDY, retirement or separation, etc.).


Q:  What if I have a problem at the rental unit that the landlord refuses to fix?
A:  It is the landlord's responsibility to maintain the property in good and safe working order.  The landlord is responsible for promptly repairing all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air conditioning and any other facilities and appliances which he has supplied or is responsible for under the lease.

If you have a problem at the rental unit, you should give the landlord the notice in writing, telling him or her of the deficiencies (in emergencies, call him or her on the telephone, but follow with a written request).  A good response time is from 3 to 10 days depending on the nature of the repair required.  If he does not respond, send a letter return receipt requested or come to the HSC and speak with the community housing specialist.  The housing specialist will assist you and advise you on landlord responsibilities.  They can also mediate the problem between you and the landlord.  She or he can call the landlord and request the deficiency be corrected on your behalf.

If the deficiencies are not corrected in a timely manner, you may consider small claims court.  The housing specialist will be able to advise you based on the circumstances of your particular problem.


Q:  When can a landlord make me move?
A:  The landlord can make you move:

  • If you violate any portion of your rental agreement or if you violate health codes (by leaving garbage on the premises, etc.).  
  • If you don't pay rent.  The landlord must give you a written notice which gives you a designated time to pay the rent or move.  If you are still in the unit after the designated time frame and have not paid, the landlord can file with the court for eviction.
  • When the lease is up or there is no lease agreement; however, the landlord must give proper notice.

Important Note:  Prior to signing a lease, the Service Member should take the lease to the local HSC or Base Legal and have it reviewed.

FAQs Sites

Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)
Basic Pay
Child Support & Alimony
CONUS Cost of Living Allowance (CONUS COLA)
Group Life Insurance Program
Other Travel & Relocation Pay
Overseas Cost of Living Allowances (COLA)
Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA)
Overseas Living Quarters Allowance
PCS / Relocation Allowance
Reservists Being Called to Active Duty
Retirement Programs
Thrift Savings Plan
Travel & Relocation Pay
Landlord/Tenant FAQ
Rights and Responsibilities of Landlords and Tenants in CT (PDF)

Other Topics

Defense Travel System (DTS) [BAH Info]
EFMP / Special Needs
Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act
U.S.  Customs

Share This Page