The Housing Service Center (HSC) staff is ready to aid unaccompanied personnel reporting to Norfolk Naval Shipyard and will assist in determining eligibility, options and locating acceptable housing. The HSC has a number of excellent housing choices and services.
Housing for Unaccompanied Personnel
The HSC has 1 of building with 68 of rooms. All are fully furnished.
Depending on your assignment status (shore duty, sea duty, etc.) and pay grade, your options may include Navy unaccompanied housing (UH) or housing in the local community.
- Sea and shore duty personnel within pay grades E1-E3 and E4 (with less than 4 years’ service) can expect to reside in permanent party UH.
- Based on local conditions, 50 to 75 percent of E4s with more than 4 years of service may be housed in UH.
- More senior personnel are expected to reside in the local community.
- UH are government-owned and managed housing. Eligibility is based on your pay grade and basic allowance for housing (BAH) entitlement.
UH unit qualities:
- Comfortable, fully-furnished.
- Clean, safe and secure housing.
- Location, location, location:
- Close to Work (no traffic).
- Base recreation.
- Additional installation support services.
- No - Rent fees.
- Fees - Cable, Internet and land-line (if needed). Note: BAH will stop.
- UH or dormitories moving information.
- Full range of housing options if interested in renting or purchasing. Be sure to check-in with us at the HSC for all of the latest information, listings and assistance.
- Assist you in locating appropriate rental housing to meet your needs.
- Protection from leases and avoiding discrimination with your housing agreement
The HSC works closely with landlords and property managers in the community which leads to the Rental Partnership Program (RPP). There are many advantages renting within the RPP including: properties inspected by the HSC, reduced or no security deposits, payment by allotment and discounts on rent. When you are authorized to live in the local community, you will draw BAH (or overseas housing allowance). Information on local community housing.