Family & Community Housing
Navy Housing Welcome Center
7924 14th St.
Norfolk, VA 23505-1217
Hours: Mon-Fri 0730-1645
DSN: 565-2832, Fax: 565-6935
Commercial: (757) 445-2832, (800) 628-7510, Fax: (757) 445-6935
Commercial: (757) 391-8517
After hours, contact on-call personnel at (757) 402-0090.
HOMES.mil is a new official Department of Defense (DoD) website, dedicated to helping Service Members, families and DoD civilians find housing. Listings for Norfolk Naval Shipyard can be found on HOMES.mil under Hampton Roads.
The Navy Housing Service Center (HSC), building SDA 337, is open Monday through Friday (except federal holidays) from 0730 until 1645, in the Personnel Support Mall which is located off Baker Street, on Hampton Boulevard. This is the consolidated welcome center for all housing sites in the Hampton Roads area. Lincoln Military Housing is located in the same building. The Household Goods office, Fleet Family Service Center and Navy Lodge are within walking distance.
Customers receive an array of housing assistance to help simplify their home search. Services include the following:
- Permanent change of station (PCS) housing check-in.
- Process government housing applications and make assignments.
- Maintain a current government housing wait list available to view in the lobby.
- Rental Partnership Program assistance for housing on the economy at reduced rent.
- Extensive available property list from various combined military and civilian resources.
- Lease and purchase agreement counseling.
- Counseling for special needs.
- How to buy, sell or manage property workshops. These informative workshops are scheduled routinely.
- Landlord and tenant counseling and mediation to help resolve complaints.
- Telephones, photocopy and facsimile machines are available without charge.
- Library containing departure housing information to help Service Members and their families plan for a new duty station.
Average Community (Off-Base) Housing Costs - Rentals
Average Community (Off-Base) Housing Costs - Purchase
The HSC UH staff is ready to aid unaccompanied personnel reporting to Norfolk Naval Shipyard and will assist in determining eligibility, options and locating acceptable housing. The HSC has a number of excellent housing choices and services.
The HSC has 1 of building with 68 of rooms that are fully furnished.
Depending on your assignment status (shore duty, sea duty, student, etc.) and pay grade, your options may include Navy UH, housing in the local community or unaccompanied Public-Private Venture (PPV) housing.
- Sea and shore duty personnel within pay grades E1-E3 and E4 (with less than 4 years’ service) can expect to reside in permanent party UH or UH PPV.
- Based on local conditions, 50 to 75 percent of E4s with more than 4 years of service may be housed in UH.
- Students will reside in one of our student housing facilities.
- More senior personnel are expected to reside in the local community.
UH are government-owned and managed housing. Eligibility is based on your pay grade and basic allowance for housing (BAH) entitlement.
UH unit qualities:
- Comfortable, fully-furnished.
- Clean, safe and secure housing.
- Location, location, location:
- Close to work (no traffic).
- Base recreation.
- Additional Installation support services.
- No - Rent fees.
- Fees - Utilities, cable, Internet and land-line (if needed). Note: BAH (or overseas housing allowance (OHA)) will stop.
- UH or dormitories moving information.
Need assistance? Go to the Support Center for help with CNIC applications and the website.