The Housing Service Center (HSC) staff is ready to assist unaccompanied personnel reporting to Naval Station (NAVSTA) Newport and will help to determine housing eligibility, options and locating acceptable housing. The HSC has a number of excellent housing choices and services.
If you are eligible to receive basic allowance for housing (BAH), the HSC is available to assist you with Navy government-owned unaccompanied housing (UH) as well as housing in the local community. There is a full range of housing options if interested in renting or purchasing. Be sure to check in with the Housing Service Center (HSC) for all of the latest information, listings and assistance.
- Assist you in locating appropriate rental housing to meet your needs.
- Protection from leases and avoiding discrimination with your housing agreement.
- The HSC works closely with landlords and property managers in the community.
Navy Housing for Unaccompanied Personnel
NAVSTA Newport UH has 8 buildings with a total of 1,169 rooms and 2,079 beds, all fully furnished with amenities.
Depending on your assignment status (shore duty, sea duty, student, etc.) and pay grade, your options may include Navy UH or housing in the local community.
- Sea and shore duty personnel within pay grades E1-E3 and E4 (with less than 4 years’ service) can expect to reside in permanent party UH.
- Based on local conditions, 50 to 75 percent of E4s with more than 4 years of service may be housed in UH.
- Students will reside in one of our student housing facilities.
- More senior personnel are expected to reside in the local community.
- UH are government-owned and managed housing. Eligibility is based on your pay grade and BAH entitlement.
UH unit qualities:
- Comfortable, fully-furnished.
- Clean, safe and secure housing.
- Location, location, location:
- Close to work (no traffic).
- Base recreation.
- Additional installation support services.
- No - Rent fees.
- Fees - Utilities, cable, internet and land line (if needed). Note: BAH will stop.
- UH moving information.