Naval Station Newport Logo Commander, Navy Region Mid-Atlantic  |  Naval Station Newport
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation

Housing FAQs

Service Members seeking privatized housing must have:

  • Navy, current orders and Page 2 (Record of Emergency Data).
  • Marines, current orders and NAVMC10922 (Dependency Application).
  • Army or Air Force, current orders and DD Form 93 (Record of Emergency Data).
  • Coast Guard, current orders and CG-4170 (BAH/Dependency Data Form).

How is my name placed on the housing waiting list?

How will the Assignment process work?

You will need to fill out an Application (dd1746), the Sex Offender Policy Form and provide a copy of your current orders and dependency form.  The Housing Service Center (HSC) will determine the bedroom entitlement then refer you to Balfour Beatty Communities for a home.

How is a rental agreement made?

A rental agreement is a legal agreement between a tenant and landlord; therefore, it is constituted as a lease.  Before signing such an agreement, it is wise to read it and understand it.

What should I look for in my contract?

The contract or lease should record the full names and identifications of the parties involved in signing the contract; the specific address of the unit involved; the beginning and ending dates of the total rental period; the total amount of rent payable; the amount of rent deposit; and the amount and due dates of subsequent payments required.

Blank spaces not applicable to your lease should be filled in with "N/A."

It should provide provisions for cancellations (military clause, deployment and PCS orders), extensions of lease beyond the first rental period (1 year, 6 months, month-to-month option, etc.).

It should specify the landlord's rights and responsibilities as well as the tenant's.  The contract should clearly state the utilities and services applied by the landlord in the rental charge.

Many contracts will also include operating policies or house rules that are applicable to the tenants, that, if not observed, can be cause for eviction.

When can a tenancy be terminated?

A landlord can terminate (end) tenancy at the end of the lease period.  In addition, a landlord can terminate a tenancy at anytime if the tenant has done any of the following:

  • Failed to pay the rent.
  • Materially damaged the rental property ("committed waste").
  • Interfered with other tenants ("committed a nuisance").
  • Used the rental unit for unlawful purposes.
  • Violated any provision of the rental or lease agreement (including improper assigning or subletting of the unit).

When considering renting an apartment or house, what problems are often overlooked?

  • When looking for an apartment or house, here are the necessary actions to take:
  • Investigate the location for crime and convenience to the base.
  • Don't let the landlord or owner show you a model; see the apartment or house you will be living in.
  • Read over the lease completely.  Make sure you understand everything in it; if you do not, bring it to the HSC or to the Base Legal Office to review it with you.
  • Before you sign the lease, or once you have signed it, make a thorough inspection of the premises.  Note any damages or defects, so you will not be held responsible for them at the end of the term.  When finished, have the landlord sign and date the list.  Provde a copy of the inspection list to the landlord and keep a copy for yourself.

Can a landlord raise my rent?

Once a lease is signed, this is a binding contract.  The amount of the rent cannot be raised until the lease is up.  When the lease ends, or there is no written agreement, the landlord may increase the rent.  When increasing rent, the landlord must give the tenants proper notice.  The procedures for this required notice is the same as "ending the agreement."  If you are opposed to the increase, you have the right to move prior to its effective date. 

Share This Page