DoD Definition of Sexual Assault
- A crime of intentional sexual contact, characterized by use of force, physical threat or abuse or authority or when the victim does not or cannot consent.
- Sexual assault includes rape, nonconsensual sodomy (oral or anal sex) indecent assault (unwanted, inappropriate contact or fondling) or attempts to commit these acts.
- Sexual assault can occur without regard to gender, spousal relationship or age of victim.
- Consent shall not be deemed or construed to mean the failure by the victim to offer physical resistance.
- Consent is not given when a person uses forces, threat of force, coercion or when the victim is "asleep, incapacitated or unconscious."
Statistics show that one in four females and one in seven males will be victims of sexual assault in their lifetime. In the Navy, the majority of victims are between 18 and 24 years old. In FY 10, 65% of the sexual assaults were Blue on Blue.
The Navy's priority is to protect victims and ensure that they are treated with respect and dignity. The Navy also wants to ensure that victims can receive medical care, forensic evidence collection, advocacy, treatment and counseling, if desired.
You have two reporting options, Restricted and Unrestricted as follows:
Unrestricted Report: You can report the assault to the Sexual Assault Response Coordinator, SAPR Victim Advocates, Healthcare Providers, Law Enforcement, Command etc., and all services, including a legal/law enforcement investigation will be done.
Restricted Report: If you report ONLY to the Sexual Assault Response Coordinator, SAPR Victim Advocates, Healthcare Providers, including the FFSP Counselors or Chaplain, you will receive support, but there will be no Command or Law Enforcement notification.
Remember that the Navy SAPR program is designed to promote a Navy culture exhibiting appropriate prevention and response capability. Sexual assault is a crime and is not tolerated in the Navy!!
Contact the Sexual Assault Response Coordinator at 401-841-4426 or the 24/7 on-call SAPR Victim Advocate at 401-450-2327
Click here for Sexual Assault programs for the Commands's Liaison, POC, DCC and Victim Advocates.