Mission: To operationalize our shore enterprise, increase shore readiness, and enable the fleet, the fighter, and the family, we will:
• Provide superior customer service and core shore service support to our Tenants, our Sailors, and our Families at Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads-Portsmouth Annex.
• Enhance relationships and provide necessary support to our community partners in Portsmouth.
Fisher House is a home-away-from-home for the families of seriously ill or injured patients receiving treatment at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth. The home is available for active duty or retired military families coping with the medical crisis of a loved one and have no local accommodations. The Fisher House is located on the Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads – Portsmouth Annex, Portsmouth Virginia. It is approximately a five minute walk to the medical center.
The house offers six spacious rooms and one suite with accommodations for up to 21 persons at a given time. The home and grounds features a common kitchen, laundry room, living room, dining room, outdoor gas grill, rose garden, private gazebo and a children’s play area.Fisher House is a home-away-from-home for the families of seriously ill or injured patients receiving treatment at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth. The home is available for active duty or retired military families coping with the medical crisis of a loved one and have no local accommodations. The Fisher House is located on the Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads – Portsmouth Annex, Portsmouth Virginia. It is approximately a five minute walk to the medical center.
- All guest rooms have cable TV, phone with an answering system, remote controlled ceiling fan, laundry basket, hair dryer, linens, and towels.
- Guest internet station and WIFI.
- Toys, books, games, movies and outside play area for children
- Cribs, Pack & Plays and high chairs are available upon request.
Fisher House Policies, Referral Procedure, and Admission Guidelines
- Fisher House is available to families of active duty and retired personnel from all services.
- Call the Fisher House directly at: (757) 953-6889 during office hours for lodging accommodations.
- Referrals may be:
- Phone: (757) 953-6889
- Fax: (757) 953-7174
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Patient must be eligible for treatment at the Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.
- Family must be traveling a distance of at least 40 miles one way and have no other local accommodations.
- Patient’s condition must be serious in nature (diagnostic testing or general procedures do not meet this criteria).
- Families are required to check out of the Fisher House when the patient is discharged to a Medical Hold Unit or placed on convalescent leave.
Due to priority and urgent medical needs, it is not always possible to admit families on a first come first serve basis. The following factors are taken into consideration:
- Medical Condition - Terminal, Critical, Serious.
- Financial - Junior personnel have priority.
- Status - Active duty personnel have priority.
Each family will be assigned one guest room and one parking space. Additional parking is available in the parking garage just across the street from the Fisher House. Once eligibility and availability have been confirmed, the family will be contacted by the Fisher House staff. A family may be admitted after business hours if prior arrangements are made with the Fisher House staff.
Availability & Placement
A referral in advance of arrival should be completed and submitted to the Fisher House. Advance referrals assist in accommodating families as soon as possible. Once a referral is received it is then suitably applied to eligibility occupancy and wait lists. A referral should not be confused as a reservation.
The Fisher House operates on a day-by-day basis, with regard to room availability, depending on the needs of our guests.
A Fisher House staff member will contact the family regarding availability of lodging.
Referral forms must be prepared and signed by a case manager, social worker, medical provider or military liaison. They may not be filled out as a self-referral. (B) An advance referral form may be completed and submitted prior to the family’s arrival, but does not guarantee availability. (C) Families may not always be admitted on the first request. Admittance is based on Fisher House availability. (D) One room is provided per family per referral and one parking space is provided per room.
Click here for referral form.
The Fisher House appreciates the contributions from volunteers and the donations for support to enhance the Fisher House mission. Donations may be made directly to the Portsmouth Fisher House (Address above). Please make donation checks payable to “Portsmouth Fisher House”.