Naval Support Activity Saratoga Springs Logo Commander, Navy Region Mid-Atlantic  |  Naval Support Activity Saratoga Springs
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation

Housing FAQs

Service Members seeking privatized housing must have:

  • Navy:  current orders and Page 2 (Record of Emergency Data).
  • Marines:  current orders and NAVMC 10922 (Dependency Application).
  • Army or Air Force:  current orders and DD Form 93 (Record of Emergency Data).
  • Coast Guard:  current orders and CG-4170 (basic allowance for housing (BAH) or Dependency Data Form).

How is my name placed on the housing waiting list?

  • Your name will be placed on the housing waiting list according to your control date, pay grade category and number of bedrooms required.
  • Submit a completed DD 1746 (Application for Assignment to Housing).
  • Submit a completed Sex Offender Policy Acknowledgement & Disclosure Form.
  • Submit a copy of permanent change of station (PCS) orders.
  • Submit a certificate of dependencies (emergency data, DEERS enrollment) and detaching endorsement.

How will the assignment process work?

You will need to fill out a Housing Application (DD Form 1746) and the Sex Offender Policy Form and provide a copy of your current orders and dependency form.  The Housing Service Center (HSC) will determine the bedroom entitlement and refer you to the Balfour Beatty Communities for a home.

How is a rental agreement made?

A rental agreement is a legal agreement between a tenant and a landlord; therefore, it is constituted as a lease. Before signing such an agreement, it is wise to read it thoroughly and fully understand it.  The staff at your local HSC will be prepared to review your lease for you.

What should I look for in my contract?

The contract or lease should record the full names and identifications of the parties involved in signing the contract, the specific address of the unit involved, the beginning and ending dates of the total rental period, the total amount of rent payable, the amount of rent deposit, and the amount and due dates of subsequent payments required.

Blank spaces not applicable to your lease should be filled in with "N/A."

It should provide provisions for cancellations (military clause, deployment and PCS orders), extensions of lease beyond the first rental period (1 year, 6 months, month-to-month options, etc.).

It should specify the landlords rights and responsibilities as well as the tenant's.  The contract should clearly state the utilities and services applied by the landlord in the rental charge.

Many contracts will also include operating policies or house rules that are applicable to the tenants that, if not observed, can be cause for eviction.

When can a tenancy be terminated?

A landlord can terminate (end) a tenancy at the end of the lease period with proper notice.  In addition, a landlord can terminate a tenancy at anytime if the tenant has done any of the following:

  • Failed to pay rent.
  • Materially damaged the rental property ("committed waste").
  • Interfered with other tenants ("committed a nuisance").
  • Used the rental unit for unlawful purposes.
  • Violated any provision of the rental or lease agreement (including improper assigning or subletting of the unit).

When considering renting an apartment, what problems are often overlooked?

When looking for an apartment or house, please consider the following:

  • Investigate the location for crime and convenience to the base.
  • Don't let the landlord, owner or agent show you a model.  Insist on seeing the apartment you will be living in.
  • Read over the lease completely.  Make sure you understand everything in it.  If you are not clear on any part of the lease, take it to the HSC or to the Base Legal office to review it with you.
  • Before signing a lease, or once you have signed it, make a thorough inspection of the premises.  Note any damages or defects, so you will not be held responsible for them at the end of the term.  When finished, have the landlord sign and date the list (condition report).  Provide the landlord with a copy of the inspection list (condition report) and keep a copy for yourself to be used when you leave the property.

Can the landlord raise my rent?

Once a lease is signed, it is a binding contract.  The amount of the rent cannot be raised until the lease is up.  When the lease ends, or there is no written agreement, the landlord may increase the rent.  When increasing rent, the landlord must give the tenants proper notice.  The procedures for this required notice is the same as "ending the agreement."  If you are opposed to the increase, you have the right to move prior to its effective date and must give the landlord proper notice that you will be leaving.

Balfour Beatty Residents

Q:  Will I have to pay utilities for my home?
A:  Currently utilities (gas, water and sewer) are included in your rent.  Electricity is still covered as long as the residents' use remains within the average usage band.  The Department of Defense (DoD) Navy initiative, Resident Energy Conservation Program (RECP) was implemented in Saratoga Springs, NY.  All homes are equipped with electric meters, and consumption and costs are being tracked.  Gas tracking will be implemented in the future.  An average consumption was determined for each type of unit in each neighborhood and this amount was established as the initial utility allowance.  Residents whose consumption exceeds 110 percent of that initial utility allowance will be billed for that excess amount over 110 percent.  Residents whose consumption is less than 90 percent of the initial utility allowance will be given a credit for the cumulative savings.  The Navy HSC will provide more detailed information and will answer questions residents may have about RECP.

Q:  When will homes be metered?
A:  The homes in Saratoga Springs, NY have already been metered.


Miscellaneous Questions

Q: Will BAH impact the WIC Program?
A: No.  BAH is not counted as income when calculating eligibility for this nutritional program.

Q:  Will BAH impact the Free Lunch Program?
A:  Please contact your state program for complete instruction.

Payment Questions

Q:  If both spouses are Service Members, do they both "forfeit" BAH for rent?
A:  BAH is collected only from the most senior Service Member.

Q:  What does my rent include?
A:  Your rent will include your average use of electric, gas, water, sewer, trash removal, lawn care and snow removal in designated areas.  

Q:  If my rent is late, do I need to pay a late fee?
A:  The late fee for rent and all other charges that are not paid in a timely manner is $25.

Q:  How much is my rent?
A:  The amount of your rent is set at your BAH or fair market rate set by Balfour Beatty Communities, whichever is less.

Q:  If I receive a promotion or demotion, what is the amount of my rent?
A:  The rent will increase for a promotion and decrease for a demotion.  The rental amount is always the amount of the BAH, unless fair market pricing was set in the lease.  It is your responsibility to notify the community management office within 5 days of any promotions or demotions.

Q:  What is the eviction policy?
A:  Residents may be evicted for non-payment, egregious acts, or failure to follow community policies.  The command will always be involved in all eviction proceedings.

Q:  Will I receive BAH?
A:  Military families living in privatized housing will collect the BAH.

Q:  Now that BAH is noted on my leave and earnings statement (LES), is this amount taxable?
A:  No, BAH is not taxable.

Q:  Who is responsible for answering our payment questions?
A:  You may direct your questions to the Balfour Beatty Communities community manager.

Q:  Is the security deposit refundable?
A:  Yes. These monies will be refunded to you when you move out, if all payments have been made and there is no excess damage beyond normal wear and tear.

Q:  Will my personal check be accepted for rent?
A:  The terms of the lease will outline payment options.

Q:  Will rent be prorated if I move out other than the last day of the month?
A:  The month will be divided into 30 equal periods, despite the number of days in any given month.  The rent will be assessed only for the days that you lived in housing.

For Service Members in the Army, Navy and Air Force:

When you sign your lease, you will be asked to choose a payment option - either "Payment by Allotment" or "Direct Pay."  If you chose "Payment by Allotment,” your BAH will be wired to the Military Assistance Corporation (MAC) who is a contractor that collects allotments and remits these payments to vendors.  MAC will wire the funds to Northeast Housing, LLC (Balfour Beatty Communities).  You will see your BAH on your LES as an entitlement and as a payment to Northeast Housing, LLC.  The advantages of payment by allotment are that you will not be required to pay a security deposit and your rent will be due in arrears.  If you choose "Direct Payment" you will need to make your rental payments to the community management office.  You will be required to pay a security deposit equal to 1 month of rent and your rent will be due in advance.

For Service Members in the Marines:

The same applies as the answer above; however, if you chose "Payment by Allotment,” you are responsible for filling out an allotment form (DD Form 2558) and forwarding your copy of the DD Form 2558 to your finance administrator.

For Residents in the Coast Guard:

The same applies as the answer above; however, if you chose "Payment by Allotment,” you are responsible for filling out an Allotment Worksheet (CG PSC-2040).  Balfour Beatty Communities maintains a copy of the PSC-2040 and you take the original signed PSC-2040 to your PERSRU Office for initiation of the rent allotment.

Pet Questions

Q:  Is there a pet or pet weight policy?
A:  The number of pets in a home is limited to two.  Proof of liability insurance is required for aggressive breeds of pets.

Assignment Questions

Q:  How will the waiting list process be managed?
A:  The Navy Family HSC will maintain the waiting lists.  For more information, please contact the Navy HSC at 518-886-0200 x 168.

Q:  How will the assignment process work?
A:  You will go to the Navy Family HSC to complete your application.  The HSC will determine your entitlement (number of bedrooms) and you will be placed on the waiting list.  You will then be contacted by the Balfour Beatty Communities community management office when a home(s) is available.

Q:  Can a family be moved from a three-bedroom to a two-bedroom if they only have one child?
A:  No. Once settled in, you will not be downgraded.

Q:  What happens if my family size increases?
A:  You go to the HSC to be placed on the proper referral list.

Maintenance Questions

Q:  Who provides maintenance for my home?
A:  You may call the service request desk at 518-587-3101.  For routine service requests you may also complete an online request by going to

Leasing Questions

Q:  What if I receive orders to PCS or TDY for more than 30 days?
A:  The lease contains provisions that will allow you to break your lease with 30 days' notice and a copy of the orders.

Q:  What if I receive immediate orders and am not able to provide 30 days' notice?
A:  The lease allows you to provide a shorter notice if you can provide documentation of your immediate orders.

Q:  Do I have to sign a lease?
A:  Yes, all residents will be required to sign a lease in order to protect themselves as well as the partnership.

Q:  What if I decide to "break" my lease for other reasons, prior to the 1-year expiration?
A:  You will be required to provide 30 days' notice and pay a lease termination fee equal to 1 month BAH.

Q:  What happens if a divorce occurs in a family residing in housing?
A:  The policy is the same as it was when the Navy operated the housing.  The first day that the Service Member resides away from the home, a 30-day written notice must be submitted.  The spouse and the family will be required to vacate the home within 30 days of physical separation.  In these cases, the lease may be broken.

Q:  How will I sign the lease if the Service Member is at sea?
A:  Please designate a special or general power-of-attorney for your spouse.  If you are unable to do that, please contact the Balfour Beatty Communities community management office for further assistance

For more information about Balfour Beatty Communities please visit their website.

Share This Page