Be informed and use common sense.
Only you know if it’s safe to get in your vehicle. Here’s how to find the information you need to make that decision:
- The NAS Whidbey Island Info line, (360) 257-1080, will be updated throughout the day. Keep the number in your wallet, purse or posted near your home phone.
- Keep your command’s Duty Office number available. Use it if you have questions about whether to come in.
- Know which local TV and radio stations to tune into (assuming you have power). Here are the TV stations we notify: KOMO 4, KING 5, KIRO 7 and KCPQ 13. If the power’s out and you can use your car or battery-operated radio, check, KBRC 1430 AM and 660 AM (Mt. Vernon), KWLE 1340 AM (Anacortes), 104.3 FM (Bellingham), KIRO 97.3 FM and KOMO 1000 AM (Seattle). You can also check the NAS Whidbey Island Facebook page for weather updates.
During icy and snowy conditions, the base will put out one of the following:
- Normal Operations. NAS Whidbey Island is open for normal operations. Personnel should report for duty as usual.
- Delayed Opening: NAS Whidbey Island is open but on a two-hour delay. Personnel should report for work two hours later than normal work schedule.
- Mission Essential Only: Only Mission Essential personnel should report for duty.