Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can my children attend school in a different school district from where they live?
There is a process in each district to make this request, but some local districts are declining more requests due to being at capacity in various grades. This decision is made on a case-by-case basis, and it is encouraged for families not to expect a positive response from the districts.
2. What are the laws for homeschooling, as we'd like to continue homeschooling our children in WA?
NAS Whidbey Island School Liaison Officer, will provide homeschooling connections and info for individual families as requested, in addition to information on the law – simplified. Call 360-257-6863 for more information.
3. Will I have a CPRW-10 or VP-4 sponsor (or both)?
CPRW-10 will assign a sponsor to each sailor and officer making the transition to NAS Whidbey. Each department within CPRW-10 and each Command will be assigned a rate to sponsor to meet each individual’s need based on marital status, children and age. The goal is to tailor a sponsor that is a near mirror image to a VP-4 sailor. Contact CMDCM Hower, CPRW-10 CMC, for further information.
4. Housing market in general, how much can I afford? Are prices going up because of the Hawaii squadrons moving? If the housing market spikes, how long before our BAH goes up?
Each individual’s financial information is different to what is affordable. The housing market surrounding NAS Whidbey Island has been on the rise and is expected to continue.
BAH data collection occurs annually both in Spring and Fall when the housing market is most active. BAH rates are based on the rental market and not mortgage rates, loans, and payments.
A tremendous resource can be found at the following link concerning the BAH process: http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqbah.cfm
5. What community should I live in (Oak Harbor, Coupeville or Anacortes)? Do you recommend living beyond those communities? Who has the best schools?
Every surrounding community has both pros and cons. Decisions on where "home" is called is an individual decision. It is highly recommended to consult with a local realtor to ensure your specific needs are met.
6. How does base housing work and what is the waiting list?
It is highly encouraged to visit the following website to address base and local community housing: http://www.whidbeyislandhousing.com/
7. What type of Fleet and Family workshops are available?
NAS Whidbey offers a vast assortment of support programs ranging from financial management to counseling support to life skills education classes.
Further information can be found: http://whidbey.navylifepnw.com/