Naval Base Kitsap (NBK) was officially established June 4, 2004, by which five geographically separate naval installations on Washington state’s Kitsap Peninsula, Naval Station Bremerton, Submarine Base Bangor, Keyport, Manchester Fuel Depot, and Jackson Park Housing were centralized as one command.
As the largest naval installation in the Northwest, and third largest in the United States, NBK is conceivably the most complex base in the Navy inventory, but is without question one of the most important jewels in the Navy’s strategic crown.
NBK emcompasses more than 12,000 acres and provides installation services to nearly 70 tenant commands, including two Nimitz-class aircraft carriers, three categories of submarines, and two flag commands (Commander, Navy Region Northwest and Commander, Submarine Group Nine).
Some of the largest commands onboard NBK are Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Trident Refit Facility, Strategic Weapons Facility Pacific, Naval Undersea Warfare Center Division Keyport, Naval Supply Systems Command Fleet Logistics Center Puget Sound and Naval Facilities Engineering Command Northwest.
A Fiscal Year (FY) 2017 Economic Impact Assessment (EIA) on Naval Base Kitsap, reported the Navy contributed $4.0 billion in total economic activity to the Kitsap County region, and employed approximately 45,532 (direct and indirect) workers. This activity generated $129 million in local tax revenues.
NBK's operational overview can be found in the document below.
Currently, approximately 33,800 military and civilian personnel, plus 7,500 defense contractors make up the work force at NBK. The Navy is the largest employer in Kitsap County by nearly 17,500 daily workers.
The Navy's history in the Pacific Northwest began in the early 1890s, when the Navy purchased 190 acres of wilderness and established it as Naval Station Puget Sound – Bremerton. In 1896, its first dry dock (now Puget Sound Naval Shipyard) was built, which played a crucial factor during the Spanish-American War in 1898.
The war years witnessed an increase of Navy activity in the Pacific Northwest from the institution of Pacific Coast Torpedo Station – Keyport, near the beginning of World War I, in 1914 all the way to World War II with the commissioning of Naval Magazine Indian Island (NMII) in 1941.
In 1942, Bangor was introduced as an ammunition depot during the war, and was recognized in 1944 as an official naval magazine. Bangor became the homeport for the first squadron of Trident submarines in 1973, and was officially commissioned Naval Submarine Base – Bangor in 1977.
Naval Station Bremerton was activated as the Navy’s newest homeport in 1998.
In 2002, the Navy launched Sea Enterprise (an initiative to establish principles that reward greater effectiveness while eliminating institutional hurdles to innovation), which ultimately led to NBK’s organizational structure, as we know it.
There are more than 70 tenant commands located on NBK, including:
- Flag Commands
- Commander, Navy Region Northwest (CNRNW)
- Commander, Submarine Group Nine (CSG-9)
- Large Commands
- Trident Refit Facility (TRF)
- Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Northwest
- Naval Hospital Bremerton (NHB)
- Naval Supply Systems Command Fleet Logistics Center (NAVSUP FLC) Puget Sound
- Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC) Division Keyport
- Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (PSNS)
- Strategic Weapons Facility, Pacific (SWFPAC)
- Aircraft Carriers (CVNs)
- USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70)
- USS Nimitz (CVN 68)
- Other Department of Defense agencies
- U.S. Army, Pacific Northwest District Veterinary Command, Kitsap Branch
- U.S. Coast Guard Maritime Force Protection Unit (MFPU), Bangor
- U.S. Marine Corps Security Force Battalion (MCSFBN)