Commander, Navy Region Northwest Logo Commander, Navy Region Northwest
Commander, Navy Installations Command
  Find Your Region or Installation


1.a. What safety information must be posted on official bulletin boards?
Answer: Visit our Bulletin Board Postings page.

1.b. Where can I get a DD Form 2272 and how do you fill it out?
Answer: Visit the site which has the information for the DD 2272 available.

2.a. How do employees get safety training?
Answer: Visit our Training Page.

3.a. What is ESAMS?
Answer: Visit our ESAMS page.

3.b. Who has to use ESAMS?
Answer: Per RADM Christopher Weaver, CNIC HQ “All CNIC commands and all tenant commands receiving BOS Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) services from CNIC regions shall implement and use ESAMS.

3.c. How can ESAMS help me?
Answer: ESAMS provides a secure NMCI compliant web-based means to manage all facets of the Navy's safety and health programs. ESAMS will enable CNIC to fully comply with all current OSHA and OSH standards, and provides real time data for headquarters and command level personnel allowing them to make informed decisions based on current data and metrics.

4.a. Are uniforms required while riding on and off base?
Answer: Correct PPE is mandatory at all times. CMC stated that over the ankle boots are required, not dress shoes.

4.b. Different bases require different PPE. How can I know what is required?
Answer: Check this website’s section on Motorcycle Training. We will also post at each gate examples of correct PPE for the gate guards to ensure consistent application of the PPE requirements.

4.c. When are motorcycle riders required to attend the Sport Bike course?
Answer: For any active duty individual (on or off-base) or civil service individual (on-base) who rides a sport bike, it is mandatory that they take the sport bike course (SRC) within 60 days of either a Basic Rider’s Course (BRC) or Experienced Rider’s Course (ERC) or within 60 days of purchasing a Sport Bike.

4.d. Is there any additional training for motorcycle riders which may help reduce risks?
Answer: Track days and other training courses are offered off-base via seminars and training by professional riders. Additionally, each installation has an active motorcycle mentor group which can assist with planning group rides, putting on stand downs, etc. Contact your installation safety office for more information.

4.e. For riders that have not taken the BRC/ERC courses, how will they get their bike to the courses?
Answer: The instruction states “All military personnel who operate a motorcycle on/off base, and all DoD civilian personnel who operate a motorcycle on base are required to complete a COMNAVSAFECEN approved motorcycle rider safety course prior to operating these vehicles”. Per the instruction, “Local commanders shall grant permission for motorcycle riders to transport their motorcycles by trailer or other means to attend approved motorcycle safety training prior to obtaining a license”. Please contact your installation safety office for details concerning this policy.

4.f. Will there be any training bikes for non-riders?
Answer: Training bikes have been ordered and will be available for use during training by mid-March.

4.g. What training is offered for retiree/dependents who need the courses for access to ride on base?
Answer: Courses are now being conducted on-base by volunteer military instructors. Check this webpage under “Driving and Motorcycle Safety Classes”, then “Dependents and Retirees” for the current schedule and the contact info to sign up for a class.

4.h. What are the legal requirements for motorcycles according to the Washington State Code (RCW)?
Answer: Motorcycle (RCW 46.04.330):
"Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, on which the driver rides astride the motor unit or power train and is designed to be steered with a handle bar…”

  • Use:
  • Must follow the rules of the road for a motor vehicle.
  • May not transport passengers under the age of 5 (RCW 46.37.530)
  • May not ride or carry passengers on motor-driven cycle unless the vehicle has a seat and foot pegs for each passenger (RCW 46.61.610)
  • Cannot ride with both feet on the same side of the motorcycle (RCW 46.61.612)
  • May not attach to any other vehicle on the roadway (RCW 46.61.614)


  • The operator of a motorcycle must have a valid driver’s license specially endorsed by the Department of Licensing enabling the holder to drive such vehicles. (RCW 46.20.500)
  • Must be registered and display a valid license plate (RCW 46.12)


  • 2-3 wheels (RCW 46.04.330)
  • Electric or fuel motor (50cc or more) (RCW 46.04.330)
  • Driver rides astride the motor (RCW 46.04.330)
  • Windshield or be wearing glasses, goggles, or a face shield (RCW 46.37.530)
  • Handlebars (cannot be thirty inches higher than the seat or saddle for the operator) (RCW 46.61.611)
  • Foot pegs (for operator and passenger) (RCW 46.61.610 and 612)
  • Two mirrors CFR 571.111 (RCW 46.37.527)
  • Brakes CFR 571.122 (RCW 46.37.527)
  • Controls CFR 571.123
  • Head light CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.523-524)
  • Tail light CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.050)
  • Brake light CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.525 & 070)
  • License plate light CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.050 and 46.16.240)
  • Red reflector to the rear CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.525)
  • Turn signals (if originally equipped) CFR 571.108 (RCW 46.37.070or 200)
  • Tires CFR 571.119 & 120 (RCW 46.37.539)
  • Horn (RCW 46.37.539)
  • Muffler (RCW 46.37.539)
  • Mirrors (RCW 46.37.539)
  • The operator and any passenger are required to wear a helmet meeting requirements outlined in RCW 46.37.530.

Note: While we have tried to compile a complete listing of laws regarding this type of vehicle, additional requirements may apply. To read additional law requirements please visit the Washington State legislative Web site at

Share This Page