Travel and Transportation


Because of recent changes in procedures, "No-Fee" Passports will now be processed by a "DoD" Passport Agent on Fort Sam Houston.

The DoD Passport and Visa Office on Fort Sam Houston will need additional processing time to ensure the customer's documents are received in a timely manner. As such, passport and visa requests must be submitted 60 days in advance of the anticipated departure date in order to ensure proper processing.

The Department of State now requires that the member's Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Orders (and which will be included as part of the package being submitted for a "No-Fee" Passport(s)) contain the following information: 

  • Complete name of the family member travelling overseas with the sponsor
  • Date of Birth of the family member
  • Relationship of the family member to the sponsor

Additional information and/or attachments that pertain to "No-Fee" Passport requirements can be found at the bottom of the page. However, follow and/or read the guidance provided throughout this page. 

In the case of active duty members, "No-Fee" Passports are not required to travel to Guam and Japan, unless the orders specifically indicate that while at the overseas duty station in Guam or Japan you will be performing official travel to other countries such as Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia, etc. If the orders indicate that you as the sponsor will be travelling to other countries, then obtaining a "No-Fee" Passport would be legitimate and the Department of State would not question the legitimacy. If the orders are not specific, even if a package is submitted for "No-Fee" Passports, it will be returned indicating that a "No-Fee" Passport is not required to travel to Guam or Japan. If your gaining command overseas communicates with you and they tell you that you will need a "No-Fee" Passport, they need to generate a letter (on letterhead paper) indicating that having a "No-Fee" Passport will be required when you get to the overseas activity. The letter must specify the country or countries you will be travelling to and the length of stay. That letter will be required in order for you to obtain the "No-Fee" Passport and will be submitted as part of the package that will be reviewed by the DoD Passport Agent in Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio.

In order for the Passport Agent to process the "No-Fee" Passport(s), you are required to provide the following documents: 

  • Typed and signed DD Form 1056 (Authorization to Apply for a "No-Fee" Passport and/or Request for Visa).  Type as much information on the form as possible.  
  • Form DS - 11 (Passport Application). 
    Note: Even though you may have previously been issued a "No-Fee" Passport, you will still be required to complete a DS - 11 for a new "No-Fee" Passport.  When you go to the Department of State's Website as per the below information, make sure you complete the correct form (the DS - 11) and not the DS - 82, which is completed for the renewal of a "Tourist Passport" when a person has been previously issued a "Tourist Passport."

Applicants must follow the outlined procedures in order to process their application:  the DS - 11 must be created on the Department of State's Website,, and when completed, all applicable pages of the 2D Barcode application must be printed.  If applicants present a DS - 11 without the embedded 2D barcode, the Passport Agent will not be able to process the passport application. 

You must have proof of U.S. citizenship, by presenting at least one of the following documents:

  • Original birth certificate (issued by the applicant's state board of health, office of vital statistics) 
  • Current or expired U.S. passport 
  • Original certificate of birth abroad 
  • Original Naturalization Certificate - Photocopies or facsimiles of birth records and other citizenship records are NOT acceptable.
  • One Passport Photo (2" x 2" color taken within six months of application) 
    *Note:  Prior to travelling to Fort Sam Houston, you should have the Passport Photo(s) with you.  You can take your Passport Photos at various places in town including Pharmacies.

If you, as the member, are traveling overseas by yourself with your minor children and/or if you are a member whose spouse is in the Corpus Christi area and require assistance with processing "No-Fee" Passports (because you as the member are under orders overseas and you are not in the Corpus Christi area), there are a couple of additional steps you need to take. 

You must complete a separate form in order to request "Issuance of a Passport to a Minor under Age 16."  One of the two available forms for this purpose, is the DS 3053 Form, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport to a Minor under Age 16, and the other is the DS 5525, Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances For Issuance of a U.S. Passport to a Minor under Age 16.

If you are filling out the DS 3053 Form, Statement of Consent, you must make sure that the "non-applying parent" completes it and gets it notarized.  (You can always see someone at your local Legal Assistance Office to get it notarized).  This form must be presented to the Passport Agent and submitted as part of the passport package along with the front and back copy of the "non-applying parent's" I.D. card.

If you are unable to obtain a Notarized Consent Form from the "non-applying parent" due to special family circumstances, you must complete the DS 5525.

In order to download a copy of the DS 3053 Form or the DS 5525 Form, please visit

Additional documents you must present are:

  • Your active duty and/or dependent I.D. card.  You may also be asked by the DOD Passport Agent to present your driver's license as a form of identification.  If your driver's license was not issued by the state of Texas, you may be requested to present another form of valid identification. Just keep that in mind.

Processing Fees

The DoD Passport Agent does not charge Processing Fees.

Mailing your "No-Fee" Passport Application as well as the documents as part of the "No-Fee" Passport Application package:

Once the Passport Agent reviews and signs the appropriate forms required for obtaining your or your family members "No-Fee" Passport(s), he or she will mail the package to the following address:

Special Issuance Agency

44132 Mercure Cir.

P.O. Box 1185

Sterling, VA 20166-1185

Normal Processing Time:  Six-to-eight weeks or more for official, diplomatic, and dependent passports.  So plan early.

Official and diplomatic passport applications may be expedited when travel date is within 30 calendar days of departure.  This requires that your command provide a "Letter of Expedite" on letterhead and signed by the commanding officer.  If departure is within 10 calendar days, a copy of the signed travel orders or flight itinerary is also required.  A sample Letter of Expedite is shown in the attached documents at the bottom of the page.  

Geographically Separated Units

If you are attached to a command that is geographically separated from the Corpus Christi area such as San Antonio, Houston, Harlingen and other locations, but administratively supported locally and you need assistance in obtaining "No-Fee" Passports, we request you contact your installation's Administrative Officer.  If you are a family member whose sponsor is not supported locally but need assistance in obtaining a "No-Fee" Passport, please contact PSD San Antonio at (210) 808-0386/0347. Hours: 0730 - 1100 & 1300 - 1500.

Share This Page

This is an Official US Navy Website
Switch to Full Site
Switch to Mobile Site