- 1940s: VF-741 commissioned at NAX JAX. Probably flew F-4Us.
- 1950s: Transition to the F-9F6.
- 1961: Transiton to the A-4D-1 (A-4A) and redesignated VA-741. A-4D-2 (A-4B) aircraft were added over the years, with both types being flown during the ‘60s.
- 1968: VA-741 redesignated VA-2F1 as an interim Navy Reserve reorganization as a result of problems encountered with the activation of reserves during the USS Pueblo crisis.
- 1970: Transition to the A-4L.
- July, 1970: VA-203 was commissioned under a new Navy Reserve reorganization called the Reserve Force Concept. Ownership of the A-4Ls was taken away from NARTU JAX and given to VA-203. Both active duty and reserve personnel were then assigned to the Commanding Officer, VA-203, instead of being split between NARTU JAX and the squadron. VA-203 was assigned to the newly commissioned Carrier Air Wing Twenty.
- April, 1974: Transition to the A-7A.
- September, 1977: Transition to the A-7B.
- December, 1977: VA-203 relocated to NAS Cecil.
|Unknown||1940s to 1957||VF-741/VA-741|
|CDR Grant Godell||1961||VA-741|
|CDR Jim McDonald||1965||VA-741/VA-2F1|
|CDR Walter N. Vance III||01 Jul 1970||VA-203|
|CDR James S. Bassett||22 Jan 1972||VA-203|
|CDR Bobby S. Morgan||29 Sep 1973||VA-203|
|LCDR Jimmie W. Seeley||13 Sep 1975||VA-203|
|CDR F. Francis Hughes, Jr.||20 Aug 1977||VA-203|