The Relocation Assistance Program (RAP), offered by the Fleet & Family Support in New Orleans, provides assistance to all service members and their families relocating from one duty assignment to another or transitioning out of the military.
RAP provides information, referral, counseling, education and training in pre-departure planning, destination information, settling-in services and intercultural relations. Some of the direct services include New Orleans-area newcomers’ orientation, distribution of welcome aboard packages and hospitality kits, workshops and handouts with tips on personal packing and shipment of household goods, financial planning, information on moving overseas, dealing with culture shock and tips on returning from OCONUS assignments.
We will help you gather all of the tools needed to make relocation as stress-free as possible. Planning and preparation, as well as a sense of humor and positive attitude, have been proven by military spouses to be sure-fire stress reducers.
When you receive Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, you will have questions:
- Will there be housing on the installation?
- Will we want to live in it or off-base?
- What are the schools like?
- Do they have health services for my family’s needs?
- Will my spouse be able to get a job?
- Should we take both cars?
- Where do I get some that crawfish I keep hearing about?
The Fleet and Family Support Center in New Orleans will answer all relocation related questions. To be best prepared for future moves, plan on attending a Smooth Move Workshop hosted by the FFSC.
The Smooth Move Workshop will address move-related topics:
- Who pays what for your move?
- How do you ship your personal property?
- How does the sponsorship program help you when you relocate?
You have questions? We have the answers to help make your move to the New Orleans area (as well as all future moves) as smooth as possible. Just call the RAP at (504) 678-7548 and get the ball rolling today!