Belle Chasse Academy
Located on Naval Air Station, Joint Reserve Base New Orleans in Belle Chasse, La., Belle Chasse Academy (BCA) is the first-ever public charter school to be built on a military installation.
BCA opened its doors in September 2002 and has a current student enrollment of more than 900 children in grades K-8. Conceived by military personnel, educators, and community leaders in 2000, BCA incorporated as a Louisiana non-profit corporation in January 2001. BCA is an approved Type II charter by the Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education. BCA serves military children of active duty, reserve and retired members.
The school provides a challenging core curriculum for all students, using research-proved curricula in a mastery-based approach that ensures competence before students proceed to new material, without delaying students who are ready to advance more quickly. Complementing the school’s rigorous academic program will be a structured, orderly environment, shaped in large measure by a fully integrated character education program.
The mission of BCA is the establishment of a quality community charter school which fosters an educational environment focused on academic excellence and tailored to the needs of the military dependent child, specifically providing:
* Acknowledgement of the unique needs of the military child
* Reduction of service-connected disruption and stress
* Substantial and direct community and parental participation
The following documentation is to be presented at the time of enrollment:
* Child’s social security number
* Proof of residence
* A copy of the current IEP if the student has been receiving special education services.
Before the child can attend school, the following must be provided:
* A certified copy of your child's birth certificate or completion of an affidavit.
* A certificate of physical examination done within one year of school entrance for students entering grades kindergarten through five.
* Documentary proof of adequate immunization against diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, polio, mumps, measles (rubeola), and German measles (rubella). All students are required to present evidence of having two doses of the rubeola measles vaccine.
For more information, please visit the school’s website at www.bellechasseacademy.org or call 504.433.5850.