Local Schools

Kingsville:
Kingsville is the county seat of Kleberg County, Texas. The population was 26,213 at the 2010 census. Kingsville was formed in 1904 and named after Captain Richard King, founder of the King Ranch.
As of the census of 2010, there were 25,575 people, 8,943 households, and 6,134 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,848.8 people per square mile. There were 10,427 housing units at an average density of 753.8 per square mile.
The city's public schools are operated by the Kingsville Independent School District and Santa Gertrudis Independent School District. High schools (grades 9-12) include Henrietta M. King High School and Academy High School. Middle schools (grades 7-8) include Memorial Middle School and Santa Gertrudis.
There are also two intermediate schools (grades 5-6), Gillett Intermediate School and Santa Gertrudis. Elementary schools (grades 2-4) include Perez Elementary School, Kleberg Elementary School and Santa Gertrudis Elementary School. Primary schools (grades PK-1) include Harrel Primary School, Harvey Primary School, Lamar Primary School, and Santa Gertrudis.
Alternative schools include K.E.Y.S. Academy and LASER School. Private schools include St. Gertrude Catholic School, Epiphany Episcopal School (PK-G5) and Presbyterian Pan American School.
 
Bishop:
Bishop is located just eight miles northeast of the air station, located on U.S. Highway 77 and Farm-to-Market Road 70, about 30 miles southwest of Corpus Christi in Nueces County. The city of Bishop was a planned town from its beginning.
In 1910, F.Z. Bishop, an insurance agent turned promoter, acquired 2,300 acres of land in South Texas along the railroad line and laid out a model community surrounded by farm tracts. Bishop laid out zoned business, industrial and residential districts, and built a water and power system. In just two years, the town grew to a population of 1,200.
Bishop closed his operation as World War One started. He had sold more than 80,000 acres of land and established a prospering community. The City of Bishop is served by the Bishop Consolidated Independent School District, which has five schools: Bishop High (Grades 9-12); Luehrs Junior High (Grades 7-8); Bishop Elementary (Grades 4-6); Petronila Elementary (Grades PK-5); and Bishop Primary (Grades PK-3). Bishop High School opened in the fall of 2010.
 
Ricardo:
Ricardo, on U.S. Highway 77 South, seven miles south of Kingsville in Kleberg County, began as a railroad siding on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway. In 1908, Robert Kleberg, Sr., manager of the King Ranch, asked the railroad to build a depot at the site.
The station was given the name Richard, which was later changed to the Spanish form, Ricardo. The land around Ricardo, part of 63,000 acres put up for sale by the King Ranch when the railroad was built, was all sold by 1917.
As settlers moved to the area, an independent school district was formed. In 1913, a schoolhouse was erected, and two teachers were employed. As the years passed and the population grew, the school expanded.
Electricity came to the community in 1941, reducing labor by the use of machinery. In time, dairying became unprofitable, and the cows were sold. In addition, the poultry industry and vegetable growing ceased to be important. Since the late 1980’s cotton has been the principal crop around Ricardo.  As of 2010, the population of Ricardo was 1,048.
Ricardo has an elementary/junior high school. The school's mascot is a Yellow Jacket. Since there is no high school, students in grades 9-12 attend either Kaufer High School in Riviera or H.M. King High School in Kingsville.
 
Riviera:
Riviera is an unincorporated community in Kleberg County, located about 11 miles south of Kingsville on U.S. Highway 77. Riviera was founded in 1906 by Theodore Fredrick Koch, a land promoter, who purchased land from the King Ranch to sell to land seekers.
Koch built a town site along the St. Louis, Brownsville, and Mexico Railway and named it Riviera after the French Riviera.
Riviera is served by Riviera Independent School District, which consists of three schools: Riviera-Kaufer High School (9-12), De La Paz Middle School (6-8), and Nanny Elementary School (PK-5).

 

 

Share This Page

This is an Official US Navy Website
Switch to Full Site
Switch to Mobile Site