Welcome to NAS Meridian, Mississippi.
On July 16, 1957, the first shovel of earth was thrown, marking the beginning of Naval Auxiliary Air Station Meridian, which was commissioned on July 14, 1961. Captain W.F. Krantz received the golden key to the air station and senior Mississippi U.S. Senator John C. Stennis was the guest speaker for the ceremony that opened the $60 million base. At that time the operations area was named McCain Field in honor of the late Admiral John S. McCain of Teoc, Miss. By July 1968, the station became a full naval air station.