Barrancas National Cemetery

The Barrancas National Cemetery was established in 1868 and encompasses over 100 acres (45 developed). During the early days of the Navy Yard, employees and their families were allowed to live on the reservation and a small community developed. After the town of Warrington was moved in the early 1930s, 840 civilian burial sites were relocated from the hill over looking Chevalier Field.

Also buried in the cemetery are 1300 Civil War soldiers and sailors; Apache Indian Geronimo’s second wife, Ga-Ah, who died while the chieftain was imprisoned across the bay at Fort Pickens; and three Medal of Honor recipients

Share This Page

This is an Official US Navy Website
Switch to Full Site
Switch to Mobile Site