Fort Barrancas was built on top of the bluff overlooking Bateria de San Antonio. Construction began in 1840 and incorporated many unusual design features to accommodate the sandy bluff. Partially completed in 1846, Fort Barrancas boasted 37 guns. During the Civil War, Confederate forces held Fort Barrancas until 1862. Occupied by a single garrison after the war, the fort languished until 1890 when it was re-armed as a training facility. Used briefly during the Spanish-American War, Fort Barrancas was disarmed in 1900 and served as an observation and communications post until 1930. World War II proved once and for all that coastal brick and mortar forts were obsolete and Fort Barrancas, was deactivated in 1947. In 1971, the structure became part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore; restoration of Fort Barrancas began in 1978.