The 451st Bombardment Squadron (Medium) was activated on July 17, 19 42, and conducted B-26 combat operations in the European Theater of operations from July 1943 to April 1945. The unit was inactivated in Dec. 1945. It was redesignated as 451st Bombardment Squadron (Light) and activated in the reserve on Aug. 9, 1947, and flew the aT-6, aT-7 and aT-11 at Reading Army Airfield, Pa. The squadron was inactivated on June 27, 1949. It was reactivated as the 451st Fighter-Day Squadron on July 1, 1954, at Foster AFB, Texas, where the unit flew the F-86 and F-100 until inactivation in 1957. The unit stood up again in 1973 at Mather AFB, Calif., and was conducting Undergraduate Navigator Training until inactivation in the early 1990s.
The unit earned the following honors: Seven World War II campaigns, a Distinguished Unit Citation and four air Force outstanding Unit awards.The Squadron was reactivated on Oct. 2, 2009, as the 451st Flying Training Squadron and serves as a tenet unit to the 479th Flying Training Group in NAS Pensacola, Fla.